Brake Caliper Servicing

slogger

Hi all,

about 12 months ago I bought a very tidy 2009 Evo 200 to compliment my twinshock bike. Its been a while since I have had to maintain disc brakes and being a rider whose technique tends to lend itself to a solid rear brake I have two quick questions:

1)  What do people treat as normal maintenance. I have had two comps now where the front brake started to seize in one event and then 2 comps after the rear started to hang.  I assume good practice is not to service on failure?  What is the frequency people use to strip down and clean and is it a full strip (ie pistons out) or purely an visual inspection and make sure the pistons run freely without having to lose the integrity of the hydraulics

2) Is their a supplier just for the caliper seals  or do you have to by the full refurb kit? It seems silly to have to buy the full kit if the pots are OK but the seals could do with changing

Any thoughts / advice / experience is appreciated.

Rob

First check the pads.

The minimum meat on them is 2mm, any less and the pistons in the calipers end up twisting in the bores as they come out too far and they jam on.

Next check the free play at the levers.

You need 2mm free play, measured at the end of the levers before the master cylinders are activated.

If they are over adjusted you'll end up pumping fluid to the calipers but it not able to return and it jams the brakes on.

Edited by goudrons

There isn't too much to worry about, just keep it all clean and adjusted.

Though it is worth keeping an eye on the master cylinder seals.

They can often weep or leak, but rebuild kits are available for a fairly painless outlay.