Bike Choice Advice / Help / 2T Or 4T Etc. Etc.

danyorks

Can you all help me with a bit of advice in choosing my next bike?

I've had a Rev3 250 which I probably rode less than 10 times as I spent most of my limited knowledge and time repairing it. However I did like it (nothing to compare it against though) and once I got it running right I sold it quick.

A year has passed and I'm now about ready to delve back in to trials but I'm unsure what to buy...

I have a budget of around £2000 give or take. My skills are very basic - I would class myself as a complete beginner and I have no intension of competing. I have always had road bikes but never really got into motocross - my friends' 250s used to frighten me to death when we were younger, 125s were ok in the fields though!

I like the Beta Evo 250. I am tempted by a 4t (I can't explain why, but for some reason I think it will be more reliable to the occasional rider like myself) plus I am going to road register whatever I buy as we have family farm just 1 mile form my house and a disused railway track in between.

I was tempted to go for a 125 as a starter, but my mate who has been riding for years on a gas gas 300 dismisses that idea every time I bring it up.

So... options for around £2k give or take a little bit,

1. Evo 250 2t

2. Evo 250 4t

3. 125

4. Haven't got a clue...

I will take onboard and appreciate any advice - thanks in advance.

I am located in Hull - if anybody recommends local bikes for sale / shops to try etc.

I had a same dilemma last year after not riding a bike for many years, I quite fancied a Beta 200 ( after an excellent day out riding one with Matthew & My son at Inch Perfect) but could not find one a 200.

I had a similar budget and before buying a new or almost one wanted to try and see if I still liked trials and ended up buying a 250 2006 "t Sherco for circa £1600 from a local dealer in Brighouse, that was recommended, and the bike was fully serviced and appeared on the face of it to be in very good condition and had an easy life over 40+ rider.

I also considered a 125 but did not fancy an ex youth rider 125 as it may potentially have had a very hard short life but never seen one that was in good enough condition. What I did not want in any event was a bike I would spend a great amount of time servicing / repairing.

The bike has been excellent and as I am back into trials  I will buy a new or almost new one as soon as I find one I like ( either a gas gas, beta or sherco 250 or possibly a new vertigo)

I would recommend you buy one from a recommended trials dealer, many advertise on this site or alternatively from someone in a local trials club where you know the history.

Best of luck.

Yes, trespass is trespass I'm afraid. Unless you have permission to be there?

A disused railway line near me used to be a popular spot for trail bikes, many of which were road registered and ridden with restraint, until all of a sudden the local authority/police got heavy with prosecutions and fines. Don't see any bikes there now.

Edited by cleanorbust

Seems a bit harsh to dismiss a 125 out of hand. Yes some get aggressive use in the hands of youngsters but many have dads who are handy with the spanners and keep up with the maintenance. Also 125s can be popular with older riders who give them gentle use. If you're worried that a 125 won't have enough power, don't be. They are excellent trials bikes regardless of capacity. They also have a lighter feel though there's little actual difference in weight.

In Hull you are a bit starved of trials dealers but there are several around Yorkshire. Also do consider doing a trial occasionally, ride the easy route and you'll have fun plus add a great bonus to owning and riding the bike. Get along to one or two local trials to take a look!

FYI: I started on a Gas Gas 2006 TXT Pro 125 and was about 175lbs (80kg) at the time, it worked great and I love the little bike! 

My wife now rides it and I have a 4RT 250 that is perfect for me and I can make her 125 do almost everything the 4RT will with a little more clutch and throttle. 

Just my experience, hope it helps, and good luck.

Some great advice. I'm aware of the trespass situation but thanks for the heads up. I was more referring to one of the banks adjacent to the track on which land I have permission. (should have made that a bit more clear).

I'll be interested to read more advice on bike choices, thanks...

200 Betas are rare, although often mentioned in these posts in advice to novices.

To help you get started you could lower the compression of the much more common 250 2T Beta (or other makes) until you are and 'hard' enough for it, usually with an extra gasket or two or perhaps (not sure about Betas) with more modern bikes a cylinder head low compression insert.

A dealer would advise I am sure.

And yes you would have a load of fun on a 125 unless you have really big climbs in mind.

Sorry to hijack your post Dan but I have a similar dilema at the moment having been out of the sport for some time, I have been searching for a decent bike around the £2k mark and found a 2005 Montesa 4rt and was wondering if it is suitable for a returning novice. I would be interested to know what you decide on.

I would agree that an 05 4RT would be fine for a returning novice. The trick would be if you are returning and where formerly a 2T rider it will feel very different and likely take a bit to adapt to differences.

If you do get one read the Montesa section for hints and information on how to improve the 05 as it was the one I have seen the most comments on about updating/tweeting to make ride better.

Sorry to hijack your post Dan but I have a similar dilema at the moment having been out of the sport for some time, I have been searching for a decent bike around the £2k mark and found a 2005 Montesa 4rt and was wondering if it is suitable for a returning novice. I would be interested to know what you decide on.

Hijacking is fine mate, we have similar queries and budgets! I like the 4rt but I'm looking for something a bit newer and a bit less used and so 4rt doesn't fall into my budget!

Having had a Beta, I'm kind of drawn back to them but this time it will be the Evo rather than the Rev. My only downside to the Beta 2t are the fact that the kickstart is on the left. You do get used to it but I never liked it!

I know what you mean about the 4rt not falling into your budget. If I'm honest the idea of spending a bit over 2k on an eleven year old bike when for the same money I could get a tidy machine from 2010 or thereabouts seems a bit daft.

I know what you mean about the 4rt not falling into your budget. If I'm honest the idea of spending a bit over 2k on an eleven year old bike when for the same money I could get a tidy machine from 2010 or thereabouts seems a bit daft.

An 05 mont would still be a good bike in 2030, not sure you could say the same of the other brands.

• Like 1