Bike Choice Advice / Help / 2T Or 4T Etc. Etc.

danyorks

I was tempted to go for a 125 as a starter, but my mate who has been riding for years on a gas gas 300 dismisses that idea every time I bring it up.

What are your goals for riding trials? Are you looking at riding competition? Seeing as though you'll be riding your bike and not your mate, go whatever bike size you feel comfortable with. 

I plan to buy a new bike next year and I want a four stroke. Not because I think they are better but because they are quieter. My old Scorpa is fairly loud. My friend has a 4rt and it is super quiet. I want to be able to practice in my yard without annoying my neighbors. So I need to find a Beta 4t to ride to compare it to the 4rt and then I will decide. The 4rt is nice, feels a little "slower" off the bottom compared to my SY250, but with or without the revs up it much smoother I feel if that makes any sense. The engine braking is something that will take some time for me to get to used when I buy a 4 stroke trial bike of my own. 

I heard that the Beta 4T has a bit more bark than the 260 Montesa but not huge.

I als know there is a race cam option for the Beta and it makes them even louder, so if you do get a chance to ride one you might want to check if it's got the race cam or not first.

Good luck.

The only reason your old scorpa is loud is because the silencer hasn't been repacked in a decade ;)

I know lol. But it has to be cut open to repack and I can't weld aluminum with my current welder setup. 

Edit: I did try to source a replacement but there is not much available for this bike. I also haven't found anyone in the US that offers a repack service for this type of silencer. 

Edited by coop650

• 2 weeks later...