Restricting The Power Of A Bike, Bad Idea?

soyasaus

I was 12 years old when I had my baptism of fire with my first bike, a 250cc Greeves TFS (which I still have, 43 years later!). It was really snappy back then and scared the CxxP out of me at first, but I persevered and meant I had all the power I needed for the stuff we were doing at the time which was basic off road fun on wasteland and the local abandoned railway track way. I had the most powerful bike in the gang for a while until a couple of guys bought themselves Griffon scramblers. Great days. 43 years on, it feels tame compared with some modern stuff but still a very capable trials bike.

The thing about gearing a bike down is that yes it does go slower but becomes considerably more responsive so really, have you gained much?  You could then use second gear for section work. But if you are going to do that why not leave stock gears and use the clutch like it is meant to be used?

As a person who rides a 125... get a 125. I've been told many times that for my starting weight of 100 kg as of 2 years ago I needed a 250-280 cc bike. The 125 has plenty of power even for my weight, maybe the suspension struggled a bit when I was at my heaviest but with your weight of 155 lbs you're perfectly sized for the bikes suspension and the power is plenty for a beginner.

Watch the first few minutes of this video 

and you'll see these guys are your weight/height and only 3~ years younger and they're doing fine on 125's. Alternatively, visit a local trials school and have a go on all the various capacities.  Edited by jml

The thing about gearing a bike down is that yes it does go slower but becomes considerably more responsive so really, have you gained much? You could then use second gear for section work. But if you are going to do that why not leave stock gears and use the clutch like it is meant to be used?

Well, I agree. I actually got to try the bike today (haven't bought it yet) and I actually really liked it! Don't think I'm gonna do anything to it and keep it stock. Tbh I don't think 125 would be big enough. Sorry for wasting your time guys, thank you nonetheless!

• Like 1

Well, I agree. I actually got to try the bike today (haven't bought it yet) and I actually really liked it! Don't think I'm gonna do anything to it and keep it stock. Tbh I don't think 125 would be big enough. Sorry for wasting your time guys, thank you nonetheless!

Word of caution, riding a bike around a paddock or open field is by no means indicative to riding between the tapes. Once it gets tight, the larger capacity bike will just punish you for every mistake you make. I'd strongly urge you to do a full day training course and try a larger capacity bike before you take that route. We've got Expert riders in our club who only ride 250's. Trials is a precision sport and generally more power only equates to more problems. 

http://www.wdtc.org.au/trials-training/which-size-bike-for-beginner.htm

Edited by jml

Word of caution, riding a bike around a paddock or open field is by no means indicative to riding between the tapes. Once it gets tight, the larger capacity bike will just punish you for every mistake you make. I'd strongly urge you to do a full day training course and try a larger capacity bike before you take that route. We've got Expert riders in our club who only ride 250's. Trials is a precision sport and generally more power only equates to more problems.

http://www.wdtc.org.au/trials-training/which-size-bike-for-beginner.htm

Thanks, but I'm not serious about competition or anything in trials, I'm buying the bike as a tool for trying to get to a specific place I've always wanted to get to with a two wheeler (gonna try it after I've gotten comfy with it ofc). As well as a toy to mess around with around the farm :)

Thanks, but I'm not serious about competition or anything in trials, I'm buying the bike as a tool for trying to get to a specific place I've always wanted to get to with a two wheeler (gonna try it after I've gotten comfy with it ofc). As well as a toy to mess around with around the farm :)

All good then, if you just using it for a run about then the 250/280 won't be a problem. Enjoy  :beer:

Additional to everything said, you can make a restrictor on the throttle tube itself, if you wish. Its not ideal, but works perfectly if you are scrared by the bike. Its also a really good help to train, because often you overrev in grip needing situations. Offcoarse you need throttle control, but to train it helps.

Also a good help if somebody new to the sport ever borrows your bike.

Edited by crazybond700

Fitting a gearbox sprocket with fewer teeth, or a larger wheel sprocket will lower the gearing and actually make the bike easier to wheelie and flip over backwards, maybe not what you are looking for.