Ty175 No Spark

retromlc

Hi everyone,my first post 

i have a TY175 circa 1980,I bought it from a dealer up north and it looked ok.

I have done a couple of trials on it and it's ok,I'm a comptete novice but have an enduro background,after the last ride I washed it ,not jet washed and it re started but was a bit fluffy on the carburation.I stripped the carb about a month later and nothing was obvious but it wouldn't idle and rev cleanly at the bottom,it ran ok in higher gears if a rode it faster.

Anyway the other day it wouldn't start so I put fresh fuel but wouldn't start,,the plug smelt of fuel so i put the plug against the cylinder and turned it over on the kick starter and no spark,i don't have a manual yet so how do I get to the points?is there a link to how to set the points?

I don't know much about engines I'm afraid.

i've ordered points,condenser and a manual,forgot spark plug,I did put a plug on from another bike and tried that with no spark,the plug looks new as do the points throught the inspection hole,I have ordered a puller to get at the points as well,

as it was running fluffy i have ordered a set of O-rings for the carb

• 3 weeks later...

if it has the std pilot jet - a 25 - it will get blocked easily. In my experience, my 175 ran (and blocked up) badly on a 25, was better on a 27.5 and much better on a 30 .... this also means that blockages are far less frequent.

the carb o rings will make it run better, and it might be an idea to get a new plug cap ... the red rubber ngk ones seem to be bombproof (just snip the h.t lead back a bit before fitting)