Gearbox Oil

evo boy

Only info i can find is for 2012 Transmission oil: 400 cc, type GEAR TRANS 0W75

Thanks for that. That's what I've been putting in just seen to spit a little out of the breather pipe that goes up to near the head.

Thanks for that. That's what I've been putting in just seen to spit a little out of the breather pipe that goes up to near the head.

It isn't uncommon to loose a small amount of gearbox oil through the breather.  

I haven't a clue why!  My friend (who also has a JGas) has the same problem and thinks it may be down to changing atmospheric pressure!

Common causes of oil coming out of Gearbox breather are:

Overfilling - oil is too high up the gears and gets churned into a foam which greatly increases its volume. This is supposed to result in insufficient lubrication and gearbox damage but I have never seen conclusive evidence of that on a trials bike gearbox.

Leak from crankcase, either poor gasket joint between crankcases or a porous casting.

On Gasgas pro I think using the wrong (undrilled) screw to hold the clutch on can also cause it.

• 3 weeks later...

This happens on the JGas when the bike is left leaning to the left for a time. If the bike is upright or leaning right it doesn't happen.

Breather hole must be pretty close to the top of the oil level or something like that. First noticed this when tying bikes in to the van in 2012. Learn't quickly to lean them the other way!

• 4 months later...

I've been struggling with my brand new 2016, 280 clutch.  I am not certain what oil was in the bike from the distributor, but the clutch has slipped so badly it has been unrideable.  I recently drained the original oil after about 4 hours on the bike and tried ATF, Dexron III, but doesn't seem much better.  Maybe this should be more of a tranny flush circuit and try again after another warm run on the engine.  Has anyone else struggled with their clutch right from the crate?  Am I missing something obvious?