95 Beta Techno Or 2004 Sherco For Newbie?

gasmatt

Hi everyone just hoping for a little advice, i am a total newbie at 43 to trials riding and bikes in general. 3 weeks ago i picked up an 95 250 beta techno to learn/play on for £600. condition ok but clutch is dragging and can't get neutral,plus fork seals gone. Can sort these issues i think but have just been offered an 04 290 sherco that is in great condition from a source i trust for £900. i wondering if i should switch to the sherco and put Beta back on e bay or spend the time / money on the techno? Any ideas ? What bike is ultimately going to be less hassle reliability wise and which is the better learner bike? Many thanks in advance for any guidance . All the best Matt

I dont know if the forum backdated or not, but my comment disappeared, anyways, Beta Technos are bulletproof and a very nice bike to ride once set up right, lots of spares and some cheap aftermarket parts, still a very competitive bike with the right rider, ideal beginner bike, pleanty power for a 250 aswell. Had a go on an 04 Sherco 125 a while ago, wasnt for me and not as reliable as the trusty Beta, also fairly unchanged since the late 90s, some of the last of the old frame as far as im aware, although this may not be a bad thing. Also if you are new to riding a 290 will be abit much, stick some carbon reeds in the Beta if it doesnt have enough power for you, but they fly. If I was you id put £20 into some seals and £50 for some new clutch plates and enjoy.

I started at a similar age, stick with the 250, it will do far more than you can do, a 290 will be savage for what you want & you won't enjoy riding it! Fix the Beta!

• Like 1

Whatever bike you buy second hand, budget for things like seals, bearings etc, you'll always have to replace something. Stick with the beta, give it a service. Then save up for something a bit younger and find something that suits you, would be my advice :)

Hi everyone just hoping for a little advice, i am a total newbie at 43 to trials riding and bikes in general. 3 weeks ago i picked up an 95 250 beta techno to learn/play on for £600. condition ok but clutch is dragging and can't get neutral,plus fork seals gone.

New to the sport myself, only a few months in. Clutch drag seems to be very common, especially when cold. My Ossa is the same but when warmed up it`s fine. Getting neutral is also a `feel` thing on my bike, I usually just reach down with my hand and juggle it into neutral.

Fork seals are a consumable it seems, but it may be worth checking them with a seal cleaning tool before replacement.

All these things are part of the fun for me, learning about the bikes foibles, learning how to ride it, meeting people at trials that are only to pleased to give advise or help fix your bike.