Montesa 315R Dougie Lampkin Replica

16cs ajs

Hi. I've been offered a 315R D.R Replica, in reasonable condition for £1500. As my knowledge of "modern" trials bikes extends no further than my air cooled RTL four stroke, I would appreciate some info, data on the strengths, weaknesses of this model?

Reading previous threads it seems that the 315R is still a popular choice, with reasonable potential & good build quality.

Are spares still available? What's different from the base model compared with the D.R. replica? 314R/315R comparison? Cheers chaps. Mike.

I had a 2001 315 that was a great bike. I think they were all called DLR but that was just the standard bike there was no option unlike todays triple choices  Std - Repsol or RR.

I think £1500 is a bit top side unless its "like new". £1250 seems nearer the mark.

From asking around, it sounds like honda are starting to run down the parts supply for the 315. Fatigue has to be a consideration on a 15 year old bike, but on the plus side, the build quality is good, not much breaks and there seems to be a reasonable supply of second hand parts around. Depends on how you feel about dealing with the second hand parts market. To ride, the power is softer and it feels heavier than more modern offerings, but you still see the occasional one on the hard route.

When the time is right, I will be buying the best / newest 4rt I can afford with the intention of holding on to it for a long time. That is only because I'm not keen on using second hand parts. Otherwise, I would stick with the 315 because it is solid, good to ride and I like it.

Price wise, some have been asking silly money for 315s that is difficult to justify for a mass produced bike of that age that isn't anything rare or special.

Thanks chaps for all your replies, views & advice. To answer The Dabster, I live in God's own trials county, Yorkshire, where men are men & women are glad of it. Fortunately there are plenty of trials clubs & challenging terrain. Consequently older trials bikes may have been battered over rocks with subsequent damage to peripherals & plastics. The Lampkin replica that I have seen is no exception. The dogbone bushes or bearings require replacing & the plastics are tired. All of which are, I imagine, still available? I get the impression from various threads that the 315R benefits from better construction & build quality than its period contemporaries, hence a reasonable buy for a "mature clubman." Thanks again guys.

Correct decals but should be red guards if you want to be spot on .

Rear wheel / brake caliper out of an older model bike, not 01. Looking at the swing arm stickers I'd say the bike is actually a 2000 year model bike. One of the pictures shows the tank from an 02. The rear exhaust looks bodged.

Edited by perce