Binding Issues

broberg

Hi!

New to trials and trial bikes. Just bought a 315R 2002, it needs some tlc like new seals for the fork legs and some looking over the rear wheel spokes (found that some where loose).
BUT the main thing for me now is that I can't put it in gear with out it jumping away, and from time to time it doesn't seem to wan't to disengage fully while riding slowly.
I can get it to fully disengage if I first stop it when putting my legs down and give it some revs, then it will stay disengage when the clutch is pulled.

But then it can do it again after some play with the clutch while riding.

The engine is recently rebuilt with new gaskets and a new crankshaft and bearings, so the fluids are brand new.
I asked about the clutch when I bought it and the seller said that everything was looked at when the engine was in pieces and they thought the clutch looked okey so they didn't change anything.

I've read that binding is sort of a common issue on the 315r, but I find it rather annoying.

Any recommendations on what to do before I start to replace stuff?

Best Regards
Pierre B
Sweden

Maybe check adjustment on leaver, make sure you've got a bit of free play? What fluid is in the gearbox? Might be worth changing that first. A fresh set of plates might be needed, but maybe try the above first? My 4rt used to take off cold I replaced the plates, I run atf in the gearbox and got a 315 master cylinder on the bike, best clutch I've ever had. I'm no expert, just my 2 cents worth

Clutch drag on the 315 is a very common problem. Do a search on here it has been asked a massive, massive number of times over the last 20 years.

The problem is the stock smooth metal clutch plates, the fiber (friction) stock plates are fine.

Aftermarket dimpled metal plates are available from BVM, a company in England that ship everywhere in the world, highly recommended company.

A certain year of Honda CR250R also came with dimpled steel clutch plates, but the cost is much higher than the aftermarket dimpled metal plates. The CR250R and 315 used the same clutch.

Don't change the fiber plates they work fine.

Don't waste a lot of time trying a dozen different brands of oil as many on here will recommend, I tried them all with no improvement.

Install the dimpled metal plates and its fixed forever, simple.

• Like 1

Clutch drag on the 315 is a very common problem. Do a search on here it has been asked a massive, massive number of times over the last 20 years.

The problem is the stock smooth metal clutch plates, the fiber (friction) stock plates are fine.

Aftermarket dimpled metal plates are available from BVM, a company in England that ship everywhere in the world, highly recommended company.

A certain year of Honda CR250R also came with dimpled steel clutch plates, but the cost is much higher than the aftermarket dimpled metal plates. The CR250R and 315 used the same clutch.

Don't change the fiber plates they work fine.

Don't waste a lot of time trying a dozen different brands of oil as many on here will recommend, I tried them all with no improvement.

Install the dimpled metal plates and its fixed forever, simple.

Thank you, Ordered the new plates and they also had new fork seals that I needed, so it was a no brainer to order from them! :)

• Like 1