2013-2015 Crank Bearings

twowheelfanatic

Started to tear down today ,theres no obvious play in shaft at either end i know sometimes its not possible to feel it just by man handling it,also the clutch basket bolts are star type shape is there a special socket to get them off

So it does thanks,clutch basket has lot of movement on it so have to change that bearing aswell,water pump shaft has play aswell, looking at oil its got water in so need to rebuild pump

do all the clutch baskets have play on shaft or is my bearing shot

• 2 months later...

Jim, are there VIN numbers that these bearing issues are known to be found? I have the very last model of the TXTPRO 280 in the warehouse. I bought mine in October 2014. I've got less than 30 minutes on it since servicing it.

Thanks, Gordon

Sorry to drift a bit, if I understand correctly the bearings are lubed by the transmission oil and not the pre mix?

I've an Ossa that has had issues and i'm praying that poor bearing quality has been the cause and is now fine.

Anyone put my mind at rest before next years Scottish.

Thanks Jim, so me running the bike a bit richer to save them was in vain.

What a pudding I am.

I can't mind what transmission oil I've been using it's some fancy synthetic ATF, it always comes out like new when changed.

Should I be using something different?

Cheers.

No I've been running either atf or putoline light gear oil for years. My current bike was new in march 14, I've just changed the mains recently but only because I was splitting the cases to change the needle rollers as a precaution. Mains were still perfect, annoyingly so we're the needle rollers but better safe than sorry

• Like 1

Jim, I don't know when I'll get to start riding this bike, but I will and I want it right. I've waited 30 years to replace my old TY250 with this new 2014.

Do you have a repair list of parts that I'll need to replace the bearings, seals, and gaskets? I want to replace them before I have hardened chrome metal chunks floating through my transmission oil.

Thanks, Gordon

Hi Jim,

You mentioned you only use XGF main bearings now.  Are they the same a Xiu Engineering?

The reason for asking is that 18 months ago I replaced the main bearings in my 2011 300 Raga (due to cracked crankcases) and I was talked into using the Xiu Engineering ones because they are lower friction and have long-life silicone seals.  There was nothing wrong with the original bearings.  Now I'm regretting that decision because my bike is consuming gearbox oil at an alarming rate and there are no external leaks.  So it's looking like I will be tearing it down again and paying for yet another set of mains along with all the gaskets.

If XGF is different from Xiu then maybe I'll go with them.  Otherwise I need to source genuine Gas Gas bearings but don't know how to ensure I don't get the dud 2013-15 ones.

Thanks,

Chris.

ps. I couldn't have done the last rebuild without your excellent videos. Thank you.

Hi Jim,

You mentioned you only use XGF main bearings now.  Are they the same a Xiu Engineering?

The reason for asking is that 18 months ago I replaced the main bearings in my 2011 300 Raga (due to cracked crankcases) and I was talked into using the Xiu Engineering ones because they are lower friction and have long-life silicone seals.  There was nothing wrong with the original bearings.  Now I'm regretting that decision because my bike is consuming gearbox oil at an alarming rate and there are no external leaks.  So it's looking like I will be tearing it down again and paying for yet another set of mains along with all the gaskets.

If XGF is different from Xiu then maybe I'll go with them.  Otherwise I need to source genuine Gas Gas bearings but don't know how to ensure I don't get the dud 2013-15 ones.

Thanks,

Chris.

ps. I couldn't have done the last rebuild without your excellent videos. Thank you.

Could be the O-ring on the Crankshaft bushing is allowing the gearbox oil to leak past.