2013-2015 Crank Bearings

twowheelfanatic

Aussiechris,

Thanks for the compliment.

Yes, they are the Xiu bearings, and as you may know, Josep (Xiu) Serra designed the Pro engine. 

We have had zero problems with them. I will be interested to know what you find when you tear into your engine again. Please let me know.

"Zippy" - The crankshaft and 'bushing' with o-ring is not used with these newer type crank bearings with built-in seals, this design slips directly over the bare crank.

But it is true that the internal viton o-ring in the bearing race could be leaking. But I have not experienced or heard of this.

Best regards, Jim

thanks for the info.  I was unaware of the change.  sounds like a change for the better.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, interesting reading the thread about main bearings. I bought my bike new in May 2014 it's a 300 racing. Since buying it I have had to have the main bearings replaced in April 2015 as the bike was really noisy. I have had continual issue with the oil going milky. I have extended the crankcase breather up high. Upgraded to the 2015 water pump last April and have changed from ATF oil to putoline light gear oil. The bike started intermittently misfiring and black smoke coming out silencer when trying to rev it to clear it which did work. But a few weeks ago the bike started growling again as when I had to have the main bearings done last year.

Last year I was lucky and my brother in law did the rebuild for me as he is an engineer and into bikes, but am about to try the job myself. My biggest worry is keeping the gearbox intact. Is this easy enough?

Have you checked the kick start paw and idler gear, GasGas is known for the kick start gears chipping / breaking

When this happens it normally makes the engine growl / vibrate so bad the engine feels like it is coming out of the frame.

Also the S3 2 piece head "O" rings maybe leaking, were these replaced when you had the engine worked on?

Terry

Hi Guys, interesting reading the thread about main bearings. I bought my bike new in May 2014 it's a 300 racing. Since buying it I have had to have the main bearings replaced in April 2015 as the bike was really noisy. I have had continual issue with the oil going milky. I have extended the crankcase breather up high. Upgraded to the 2015 water pump last April and have changed from ATF oil to putoline light gear oil. The bike started intermittently misfiring and black smoke coming out silencer when trying to rev it to clear it which did work. But a few weeks ago the bike started growling again as when I had to have the main bearings done last year.
Last year I was lucky and my brother in law did the rebuild for me as he is an engineer and into bikes, but am about to try the job myself. My biggest worry is keeping the gearbox intact. Is this easy enough?

Hi zuendapp. Thanks for reply. Yeh I had put new orings in the head. The idler gear is indeed damaged ( not a whole tooth on it) as is the kickstart half gear. Corners missing from it. So that might account for some of the noise, but when I turn the crank using con rod it sounds rough, so going to get some bearings and replace them again. Heard about bearing quality between 2013/2015 from GasGas not being to great so trying to find either SKF bearings or Xiu bearings. Going to phone around this afternoon after work and see what I can get. Had two 2nd hand GasGas trials bikes before and no problems and since I got this one new in 2014 nothing but issues. Think it might be my last GasGas and move to a Honda Mont