Sachs Rear Shock Rebuild

glennp

How much pressure do you use? My HVAC guy said I can use his nitrogen tank. Maybe I can install a shrader valve?

I have some worn out twin shocks from an 80's bike that had little/no damping left. I drilled a hole, drained the oil, welded a nut on, added power steering fluid, and closed up with a bolt. The damping is pretty good now.

I want to try the same procedure with an old Fantic Section shock, add a shrader valve and pressurize with nitrogen, then if that works, try it on the Sachs.

Agree. Remembering that this "new modern" shocks have a piston separating oil and gas. So, one hole for oil and gas does not work any more.

If a shrader valve is too big for your shock, you can use a KTM M5 style bolt (neoprene seal and needle system) witch require a special inflating device.

• Like 1

Here's the link:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/rebuild-the-unrebuildable-sachs-zf-shock-gasgas-other.1170705/

Good stuff. I'm going to give it a try. The author also has a detailed instructions on aluminum marzochhi forks.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/marzocchi-fork-maintenance-de-mystefied.1018648/#post-28415949

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

• 1 year later...

Ciao cascao, thank's for sharing your knowledge with your nice video. 

I' m gonna service the Sachs shock of my gg txt 280 2000 and I would like to know how many cm the air/gas piston separator should enter in the schock absorber body.

i can't see the measurement you made on your video. 

Cheers from Italy .

Thanks 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wideopen said:

Ciao cascao, thank's for sharing your knowledge with your nice video. 

I' m gonna service the Sachs shock of my gg txt 280 2000 and I would like to know how many cm the air/gas piston separator should enter in the schock absorber body.

i can't see the measurement you made on your video. 

Cheers from Italy .

Thanks 

do not know how many they use from factory.

On shocks I reassembled used the rule below:

Meassure shock shaft lenght that goes inside shock body (estimated pu bumper half compressed) and increase a little (10mm)

14 hours ago, cascao said:

Meassure shock shaft lenght that goes inside shock body (estimated pu bumper half compressed) and increase a little (10mm)

? perfect ?

On 5/1/2019 at 6:16 PM, cascao said:

one more question...

my shock it's not licking and works well. Only the bumper disapppear. Destroyed by the years

Do you think it's possible to take apart the feet of the shock without depressurizing it, just to replace the bumper?

obrigado

2 minutes ago, Wideopen said:

one more question...

my shock it's not licking and works well. Only the bumper disapppear. Destroyed by the years

Do you think it's possible to take apart the feet of the shock without depressurizing it, just to replace the bumper?

obrigado

forgot to tell you .... sachs schock from a gas gas txt 280 2001

4 hours ago, Wideopen said:

one more question...

obrigado

Yes. You just need do unscrew shock bottom clevis (use heat to broke loctite and aluminium clamps to protect the shock stem)

It good practice change rebound bolt o rings due heat you used

Cut car bumper or buy new one from splat shop (gasgas bumper is sheaper than shercos)

12 hours ago, cascao said:

Yes. You just need do unscrew shock bottom clevis (use heat to broke loctite and aluminium clamps to protect the shock stem)

It good practice change rebound bolt o rings due heat you used

Cut car bumper or buy new one from splat shop (gasgas bumper is sheaper than shercos)

? Done..... thank's a lot 

?