4Rt Cam Chain

2stroke4stroke

I have what I hope is a camchain tensioner in need of adjustment; the manual says nothing about this. It looks like it may be an automatic tensioner. I don't want to remove the cover and end up overtightening the chain.

Has anyone any experience of doing the tension?

Hi the cam chain tensioner is automatic.... no adjustment can be made....if you have a rattle, check the tappet clearance?..... it could be worn chain guides or chain but I doubt it...I have a 2006 bike that has been well used and when I fitted new piston & rings the guides were fine. I did put in a new chain just because I had it in bits but there was no significant difference between the old and new I probably needn't of bothered.....I guess the chain tensioner could be stuck? but again I doubt it....   

I have what I hope is a camchain tensioner in need of adjustment; the manual says nothing about this. It looks like it may be an automatic tensioner. I don't want to remove the cover and end up overtightening the chain.

Has anyone any experience of doing the tension?

Before removing the tensioner you should remove the pressure from the unit using the tool shown in the book and turning clockwise. Then remove tensioner unit and check spring tension, it is unusual to fail but possible for the spring to break. You cannot over tension the the chain provided the tensioner is not damaged.

Hi the cam chain tensioner is automatic.... no adjustment can be made....if you have a rattle, check the tappet clearance?..... it could be worn chain guides or chain but I doubt it...I have a 2006 bike that has been well used and when I fitted new piston and rings the guides were fine. I did put in a new chain just because I had it in bits but there was no significant difference between the old and new I probably needn't of bothered.....I guess the chain tensioner could be stuck? but again I doubt it....

It's not a rattle but a deeper noise (but doesn't sound like bearings) at tickover which came on after an 80 mile run on the road, at a careful speed.

As it had a new piston just before I got it I have faith that the guides would have been done if required.

Anyway, it seems I can remove and inspect the tensioner without potential disaster so will do so. Thanks.