Ossa Officially Defunct?

imexian

After that short statement maybe 3-4 months ago from ossa head honcho Joan gurt, nothing? Looks like all the doom Sayers were correct.....unless anyone knows different?

Any news? Good or prob bad!!!

Well there's a rumour that they are aiming to start producing bikes this autumn however no official info even for the dealers... Prolly they won't make an official statement before funding is secured and the GG thing is sorted. However seems like they haven't gave up totally yet however time is running out and the number of possible customers (Ossa bike buyers) is decreasing.//TJ

Ps had my first time out on my Ossa for this year (knne problems has ruined this season...) today but starting probs prolly due to discharged battery (fuel straight into cylinder however is a trick) made it a shorter one. DS

Wow, if true That'd be very nice if we could have the updated 2017 OSSAs!

Dont think the client base is decreasing though... We both with wife like our 280 so much that there's a good cahance we'll buy a 250 regular or 300 factory into family, depends who will win the argument! :D

Edited by tsiklonaut

Its a very strong rumour as I was told about that yesterday. I was told around September time which does sound promising. Hope it is true and they come back and prove the doubters wrong, be a big shame if they couldn't make it work.

It's a great dream but the company is dead as a door nail.

The only way someone might start production is on huge outlay which is completely illogical. Gurt is hoping for someone to invest so he can place himself comfortably within the structure and start drawing a nice salary... and what's wrong with that ?.

Nothing apart from the fact that courting investors and securing their cash is the No 1 priority. Making bikes falls way way down the list.

The factory margin on bikes doesn't pay enough for companies like Ossa to exist .

That's why the no 1 priory is attracting investors with hope that there is one born every minute.

It doesn't make pleasant reading but this is the sad reality of some small trial bike co's. There is nothing wrong with hope.In this case just don't part with cash - it would be gone in a flash.

• Like 2

He would only have given you one line.

I have extensive recorded interviews with Ossa factory employees and it was them and others in the industry that opened my eyes to this euro grant business. The business is not making bikes , it's creating enough confidence to borrow more. That's where the money is earnt , not mark up on a few hundred bikes being sold each year. .. many with warranty costs haunting them afterwards.

Sad reading like I say ... but this is what goes on

• Like 1

Moving on I've always wondered at the wisdom of creating totally new bikes.

For arguments sake say all trials bikes had the same engine wouldn't cost savings be massive.

Easier for spares too.

Maybe even get a uk build if it caught on.

• Like 1

That was indeed the model for the British trials manufacturing industry when Villiers were around.

A pity Yamaha had not seen an opportunity to do likewise with more than Scorpa.

Except the yam engine was very expensive when sold to scorpa and by then outdated, but its a good model as far as a british bike goes.

Didnt greeves copy a sherco?

One thing I liked about the OSSA was the. High build quality. As good or better than any other bike I've worked on.

Obviously the business is there to make money. Pretty hard to do in trials I think.

But I like the Bike so much I'm sure hope someone starts building them again. It has fit my use so well- although if they made a model with just a bit more suspension travel, easily lubed/rugged linkage (like the Ti stuff I have) and maybe about 5hp more top end (assumig it could be done without loosing the bottm) then it would be a wonderful all arounder.

I don't do much competition- I just like to ride.

The 4RT is as heavy as my Explorer, without the 'long distance' comfort.

I would certainly consider one though- friends that have them like them. For what I've seen, the OSSA build quality is at least as good. Really.

I don't have $10k to blow at his point in time (just retired) and the OSSA is working Superbly for me. I like the response, balance etc.

But if I get another trials based bike the 4RT will be high on the list for my use.

(Although it would require a LOT more work to plate here- unlike the OSSA, which was easy)

Edited by lotus54