Which Bike To Buy?

tahoebrian5

Hi trials central, I'm starting research to decide which bike to buy. I owned an 09 gas gas 280 eco but I sold it about six months ago. It was my first ever trials bike and I decided after riding it for a bit that I want something newer and maybe lighter. So I'm a novice, no hopping about on the back wheel anytime soon. Im wanting something smooth and easy to ride, and also something light weight as much as possible. I think I like the suspension to have a bit of snap to it.. At least more so than the gg. It seemed really dead and even after putting a new shock in I could never get it to feel snappy. I don't know, maybe that's not desirable , what do I know?!

I'm thinking about a used 2014 Ossa tr300. Or possibly a new TRS. Vertigo looks awesome but it's expensive and from what I've read might be geared more towards advanced riders. Shercos I'm sure are solid but seem to be quite a bit heavier than the new school offerings. Anyway that's where I'm at. Thoughts and opinions welcome! Thanks.

Only you can pick what bike is for you!!!! Other peoples opinions do not matter as they are not riding your bike for you. I would however think twice about an Ossa due to the fact that they are well Not very solvent as a company now

• Like 1

As a novice and wanting light, I might suggest (though it may sound counter intuitive) to go with a 250 instead of a 300. There is something called moment of inertia witch is lighter on the 250 and if you get something like a 2015 Sherco Factory Gas Gas Race or similar you will find that the bike feels lighter.

And at 149.91 lbs that's not much weigh to begin with.

They should have enough adjustment in the suspension to give you that snappy feel if you want it and be able to bring it back in if you find yourself needing a bit less bounce.

Myself I went for softer suspension and a 250, am now intermediate and will be able to ride well into advance with my current bike.

And as stated, your the rider so what you want/like is what you should get advice aside.

Best of luck!

Edited by jonnyc21

Thanks for the thoughts so far. Unfortunately there is no way in my area to test ride anything so my only option is internet research, and hope for the best. The Ossa is tempting because it appears a few people are pricing them to sell out of fear. It may get be worth a bit of risk..

There are a lots of threads on here about which bike is best. If you look in general trials this one seems along the lines of what you are looking for... http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/57920-what-would-you-buy/page-1

Of course it is best to try a bike... well worth travelling to an event to watch a few bikes in action and ask people in person... I am always happy to loan my bike to people who want to give it a try... to bad you don't  live near Nova Scotia. This weekend we are putting on an event and Honda, Beta, and Sherco will all have 2016 demo bikes there for people to try... I tell the local dealers they won't sell bikes by letting them just sit on the show room floor - ride on Sunday sell on Monday...

I bet you will find any new bike is going to be totally different than what your old bike was and as mentioned the weight on the scale is not as important as how heavy it "feels" when you are riding it - don't discount the Sherco they are awesome (and yes they do sponsor me so) don't take my word for it give one a try... It also seems the US national team are all over them :).         

They're all largely made out of the same parts. The unique bits, at least from the outside, are the motors and the frames. The OSSA is a big outlier in that it's the only injected 2t. The one guy in my club that still owns and rides an OSSA loves it, but he's already been on the phone to jolly old England to get parts, and not for simple things (i.e. broken shift drums). I wouldn't touch an OSSA with a 10 foot pole, but that's just me.

The rest are all pretty straight forward. The big difference between GG and the rest is the diaphragm clutch which is great, but the gearbox is a little funky (they made a six speed about the size of your fist, and it can feel a little scary going from 4th to 5th as two sets of gears move). 

On the hugely stereotypical and offensive to owners front:

* GasGas: rides awesome, best clutch, does everything well, very neutral. Sketchy gearbox.

* Beta: very solid, best turning bike

* Sherco: if you're talking 2016+, no idea (although people seem to like the Scorpa, and it's the same bike now). Pre 2016: bizzarro rear gas tank, restrictive air intake, otherwise decent enough

* Vertigo: frightening both in terms of power and price

* TRS: a GasGas/Beta hybrid... sort of

I don't think the newer bikes are really going to be any noticeably lighter than your 09 GG, but anything newer should feel less abused which goes a long way. I also don't think a new bike's suspension is going to feel any different to you. I think you're seeing guys hopping around and thinking the suspension should feel a certain way (i.e. like a pogo stick) when in actuality most of that movement is generated by timing and technique.

Shorter story, if you really can't ride anything before you buy, are going new, and you're a total novice: Beta EVO 200.

Slightly expanded story: they're all really good, buy the one you think is prettiest.

• Like 1

Do not discount Scorpa and Montesa!

Quickness of suspension will not buy you traction. t requires some damping to keep things hooked to the ground.

Weight means nothing when the wheels are on the ground!

If I were out in BFE, a Montesa would be looking real good! :icon_salut: 

A less aggressive bike is easier to ride! ALL DAY! :guinness: 

• Like 3

Personally I think both fuel injected 2-strokes mentioned have very smooth power delivery and there must be something wrong with my vertigo as it's defo not frightening power wise. But for a novice with 1 or 2 years trials experience a 200cc bike would be perfect to help give a novice rider confidence.

Suspension is all about timing. Has nothing to do with any brand. A good rider can make anything hop. The best new bike is the TRS. The best bike for 2016 with a good dealer network would be the Sherco/Scorpa. RYP is awesome. The 4Rt is a good bike, not for you to learn to hop. Nothing wrong with the Beta either. Fuel injected 2 strokes are not rider friendly. (Unless you are a patient nerd that thrives on not riding.) Trying to be the most honest.

• Like 2

Suspension is all about timing. Has nothing to do with any brand. A good rider can make anything hop. The best new bike is the TRS. The best bike for 2016 with a good dealer network would be the Sherco/Scorpa. RYP is awesome. The 4Rt is a good bike, not for you to learn to hop. Nothing wrong with the Beta either. Fuel injected 2 strokes are not rider friendly. (Unless you are a patient nerd that thrives on not riding.) Trying to be the most honest.

As a novice in trials I found the fuel injected Ossa easier to ride (than previously owned GasGas and Beta), with stable throttle response without 'surprises' due to not-so good carburator settings. I ride it every weekend and sometimes midweek; clean, change oil, lubricate chain and put fuel and ride it (and repeat).

Or do I misinterprete your statement and you mean something else? 

Edited by tcrhino

• 3 weeks later...

Hi trials central, I'm starting research to decide which bike to buy. I owned an 09 gas gas 280 eco but I sold it about six months ago. It was my first ever trials bike and I decided after riding it for a bit that I want something newer and maybe lighter. So I'm a novice, no hopping about on the back wheel anytime soon. Im wanting something smooth and easy to ride, and also something light weight as much as possible. I think I like the suspension to have a bit of snap to it.. At least more so than the gg. It seemed really dead and even after putting a new shock in I could never get it to feel snappy. I don't know, maybe that's not desirable , what do I know?!

I'm thinking about a used 2014 Ossa tr300. Or possibly a new TRS. Vertigo looks awesome but it's expensive and from what I've read might be geared more towards advanced riders. Shercos I'm sure are solid but seem to be quite a bit heavier than the new school offerings. Anyway that's where I'm at. Thoughts and opinions welcome! Thanks.

If you are wanting a good solid bike at the price i would go for the sherco as they are great bikes, they are selling like hot cakes over in Northern Ireland. The vertigo is a great bike, i test rode one in the leadmines but the problem I have is the price as well, £5750 is a lot of money. The sherco 300 is £5200 so you are saving money. I would advise not going for the ossa as they have been bought over and parts are starting to get difficult to get, at least over here. There are only about 5 ossa's in Northern Ireland. The trs in my opinion is unproven compared to the sherco. The trs looks good but i would personaly wait a while till they get more popular. But the only problems with the sherco is the radiator when trying to fill it up and the clutch seems to be easy to knock out.I am going through the same problem, I can,t decide which bike to go for, the sherco 300 or a montesa cota or repsol. The best thing would be to try and get a test ride on all of them. 

• 1 month later...

Well I'm getting closer to having funds for a purchase. One other general question I have, how do the veterans here feel about buying used vs new? My limited experience with the GG280 was that parts are very expensive and the owning experience is not quite the same as an mx or enduro bike. Not a lot of aftermarket support it seems also. Anyway yes I'm getting close, and there are a lot to choose from!

As a novice in trials I found the fuel injected Ossa easier to ride (than previously owned GasGas and Beta), with stable throttle response without 'surprises' due to not-so good carburator settings. I ride it every weekend and sometimes midweek; clean, change oil, lubricate chain and put fuel and ride it (and repeat).

Or do I misinterprete your statement and you mean something else? 

I liked the Ossa, but would not recommend any brand that is no longer in business. If you have an Ossa that actually starts, good for you. I also change elevations frequently, so jetting is much easier to me since I can do that before I show up at an event.

Edited by lineaway