Hello Newbie Here :) Advice Needed

speshal

The frame pictured above is definitely not a 199.  As already mentioned it will be a 183 or 191 as it is a 350 frame.

The 199 frame is a nice frame and maybe a bit more stable than the A and B versions as they had the engine lifted making those bikes feel a bit top heavy.

• Like 3

Cheers for that woody :)

I got a pleasant surprise today, as mentioned my bike has been sitting for 25 years, and previously I didn't really pay much attention to the specific details, but I just went and had a look at the carb as it didn't look like the Amal in the manual.

I found three letters on the bottom of it that read "MIC" which was a nice surprise :D

Edited by speshal
  • Like 1

Shall we play a game? (This is how I ask for advice ;) )

Say, for example, you have put a multimeter across the green and black wires going into the terminal block under the tank and discovered that there is an short somewhere, what would you check first? I get continuity on the multimeter even when moving the flywheel.

I've not had the flywheel off yet but have checked that the points open and close.

First correct answer wins an imaginary Ten Pound note ;)

The short has to be happening either from the wires going up to the terminal or in the ignition itself. So you will have to strip it all down and look for a short. Old wires do become very brittle on the outsides so that is always something to look for. The main spot to look is either the wire from the points to the condenser or the wire from the primary coil. Just have a really good look and it will be easy to see. Good luck. Graham.

• Like 2

Cheers for that Graham, I shall have a good look later on :)

I am planning on changing the condenser anyway because of what I have read on here and as far as I know it's 36 years old, would you put a new set of pointsas well in as a belt and braces approach or do they just need a good cleaning?

Apologies for my ignorance and incessant questions :D

• Like 2

Are you testing between the green & black? Green is ground, black is hot, if you test between the two you are going to a

kill the circuit mode.

Apparently you are saying "no fire @ the plug"? Clean the points.

In my experience putting in a new Femsa condenser is a waste of time & money, my suggestion always is an automotive

condenser under the tank.

Good Luck

Larry

• Like 4

Cheers Larry,

Yup there's no fire at the plug at the moment and yes I am testing between the hot (black) and ground (green) and there appears to be a short between the two as there is no resistance between the two regardless of what state the points are in.

Could you recommend a decent condenser if not the Femsa one?

Cheers,

Ed

• Like 1

Make sure to disconnect the black and green wires from the terminal block then connect the multimeter to the wires coming out of the stator. You can test this by manually opening the points through the slot in the flywheel. Resistance should then go from zero to infinite on the meter. 

• Like 3

Ed the condenser I have used to my satisfaction is , 1970 Ford 302 ci, there are many options,I believe there

is very little difference with the exception of a way to mount @ the coil location & if my stupid computer would

cooperate I would post a photo, it is not necessary to remove the original from its location, the worst thing to do

would be to replace with a stock condenser.

As we know the black wire is the hot wire , green is ground (usually this way), what I know about electrics testing

is very small, but have had a bunch of experience with the Bulls.

Clean/file the points, hook things back together, roll the engine with the kicker by hand , be sure to install the Ford

condenser, black wire, black coil wire, condenser, mounted/grounded.

Good Luck

Larry

• Like 2

Well I managed to get the flywheel off for the first time in 25 years...

I've discovered 3 things so far...

First thing is, I'm guessing that these marks aren't standard (someone has punched a TDC mark I guess?)post-22741-0-38306400-1470505971_thumb.jpg

The second thing is, there appears to be a crack in the case, I'm guessing that the previous owner had a flappy chain at some point, is this a problem?post-22741-0-65554900-1470506214_thumb.jpg

Number 3

How do I get the stator plate off? I guess the 3 screws are the answer but I've broken 2 screwdrivers trying so far :D

Ed

The marks are usually from someone marking it prior to removal so as to have a ref. point when replacing it

after removal possibly to replace the seals.

As to removing the screws, I would suggest  laying the bike down as close to level as possible & penetrating

oil over night, then a good screwdriver, next heat (soldering iron maybe) ,next a hand impact screwdriver, &

hope they come loose, (I've never broken a screwdriver here).

As to the case problem, it needs to not let water in, I just finished the case & the side cover on a m185 that had big

time chain damage using fiberglass resin & cloth.

Hopefully you will get things going your way soon!!

Hope this photo will help with the condenser discussion earlier. (My wire color is terrible, but they get there)

Larry post-14329-0-46654600-1470519290_thumb.jpg

• Like 2