Hello Newbie Here :) Advice Needed

speshal

I can take a photo of mine but it will have to wait until Monday though. I leave early tomorrow morning for the Queensland Classic, Twinshock and Air Cooled Mono Championships in Stanthorpe. I`m camping there and Saturday night they are forecasting -5 degrees celsius. Should be a great weekend though. Graham.

On 8/17/2017 at 11:33 AM, bullylover said:

I can take a photo of mine but it will have to wait until Monday though. I leave early tomorrow morning for the Queensland Classic, Twinshock and Air Cooled Mono Championships in Stanthorpe. I`m camping there and Saturday night they are forecasting -5 degrees celsius. Should be a great weekend though. Graham.

That's great, Thanks Graham. :D I'd be interested to see how you've done it. I have an idea of using the old bracket from the Femsa coil to hold the new one, I just have to work out how to get it apart.

Have fun in Stanthorpe!  It sounds like fun :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sherpa325 said:

From memory I used a piece of aluminium flat bar which was bolted to the old coil mount, the bar extends forward towards the headstock, the new coil was then mounted off that.

Cheers for that 325, it gave me an idea.

I took the old coil bracket and mounted an L shape bar on to it.

Excuse the somewhat "agricultural" appearance, this picture was of a test fitting and using any old bolts that were lying around :D

20170818_180735.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi, it's me back again.

I got spark and I had air going through the carb but the plug was always dry when I tried to kick it over so decided that the carb must be bunged up, It's got a Mikuni VM26-208 on it. The prospect of taking the carb apart scared the beejebus out of me - bits pinging out everywhere, losing stuff which I can't currently afford to replace but I found a few Youtube videos that demystified the voodoo surrounding carbs, so I took it apart, most of the videos I found were from Canada and to do with taking apart SnowMobile carbs but many of them mentioned that if you had a groove in the needle it was probably a good idea to replace it, so I was just wondering what you'd do if this was yours....?

20171025_175516-1-1.jpg

13 hours ago, tony27 said:

Grooved float jet needle generally causes flooding. Most likely cause of no fuel getting to plug is gummed up pilot jet, if you're worried it doesn't cost that much to replace every jet in your carb

Cheers for that Tony :D

I've pulled it all apart given everything a good clean with Carb cleaner, will see if that works.

After 26 years of sitting, neglected, in the garage............

IT STARTS!!!!! :) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Three things happened at that exact moment in time, a grown man had a little cry, the dog started barking and I deafened myself as I was in a relatively enclosed space with no exhaust pipe on it!

Thanks for everyone's help, expect many, many more stupid questions in this thread :) 

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...

I am back with more stupid questions! :D 

Does anyone have any chain recommendations? I'm looking at the 520 Regina gold one that InMotion sells, are these any good? Also what's a good length, the manual says 52, my old chain was 49 so I'm a little confused :) any help greatly appreciated. If it's any help the front sprocket has 12 teeth, rear 40.

Cheers.

The inmotion 520 Regina Gold is fine. It is a Trials bike not a fire breathing crosser. Chain wear is more about the riding conditions in mud, sand water etc.  The expensive chains chains wear out just as quick.  I do not spend more than I need to and replace as required.

Not sure how many links you require. Last time I counted the links on a Bultaco chain was years ago. I just buy the chain from Inmotion which is supplied slightly longer than required. Assembly over sprockets and remove links as required until it fits.

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, just checking in and to have a small rant :lol: 

You may have noticed that between the first post in this thread and this post it's been.....a while...... and I'll explain a little bit why, I am the sole carer for my darling wife who has a severe spinal condition so I'm restoring my bike when I can and when I can afford it.

I was luckily enough to be able to afford a new exhaust mid section at the start of March, so I ordered one from a company (I'll not name names until it's resolved but I will say it WASN'T Inmotion) and got the right royal run around about how there was no current stock but they'd have some in by the second week of March.

The second week of March went by and still no word, so another email was sent, a week later I was told that they were having some more made and it should be with me at the start of April.............

Long story short, it arrived today, hooray!

Except no, not really hooray, it's got some terrible gouges out of the metal on the outside and these are consistent with the marks in the packaging from the manufacturer and not from the delivery company, I know it's cosmetic but when you've saved up for something, you'd want it to arrive in pristine condition. Oh and I'm no expert but some of the welds look a bit shady too.

7gNk1lB.jpg

• Sad 1

I would question them about those marks. We can`t really see the welds in that photo. The only hassle would be you might have to pay the postage to send it back which can be a major pain in the you know what. Get onto them and ask what they will do about the marks. Graham.

• Like 1