Hello Newbie Here :) Advice Needed

speshal

Cheers for that Graham, luckily enough I live not too far away from the company I purchased it from, so I popped down there this morning and they swapped it over for a nice shiny new one that has better welds on it too :D 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Any more to report Speshal ? I have enjoyed your baptism of fire, should we say, of your crusade to rescue one more Bultaco that could so easily have been lost for ever. Well done for putting a lot of effort into your build. Don Paco would have been proud of you ! John, down in Jsy. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 08/07/2018 at 5:48 PM, johnjsy said:

Any more to report Speshal ? I have enjoyed your baptism of fire, should we say, of your crusade to rescue one more Bultaco that could so easily have been lost for ever. Well done for putting a lot of effort into your build. Don Paco would have been proud of you ! John, down in Jsy. 

Hi John, many thanks for your kind words, they are greatly appreciated :thumbup:

I've realised during this process, you need, patience, time and money.

Patience I have in spades, it's just the other two I'm struggling with at the moment! :D

Although that said, progress has been made, yet still lots to do!

@stpauls said "Bultacos should be red.  The blue ones just don't look right."

and @thai-ty said "Bultacos should be blue with a white frame. The red ones just don't look as good.."

errrrrrrm  it's British Racing Green.... :lol:

wVAEnkl.jpg.

• Like 2

It's your bike so if you want it british racing green then do it. I suspect it will come out looking great

I know what you mean about the time & money thing, I recently bought a CZ sidepipe to restore for racing & with it needing the forks rechroming & the back end of the frame straightening out it won't be cheap or quick to do

• Like 1

That BRG colour might look quite good with the right colour Bultaco tank decals and the red roundals in the recesses. If you want a bit more urge fit an earlier and larger air box, it was a factory mod ( bit reverse if you ask me) it does take up a lot of room but does give the engine more to breathe from.

A point about your front brake, not a criticism more an observation. It’s set up like the M80 and earlier models, yours is supposed to be at the front side of the fork leg. It works either way but if you research a bit you’ll see what I mean. As it is if you should be in a situation where the front wheel passes over a rock as an example when it drops down the brake arm could catch on the rock applying said brake. This won’t be a serious issue unless you have the only Bultaco front brake that actually stops you. Just thought I’d mention it?

Edited by section swept
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, section swept said:

That BRG colour might look quite good with the right colour Bultaco tank decals and the red roundals in the recesses. If you want a bit more urge fit an earlier and larger air box, it was a factory mod ( bit reverse if you ask me) it does take up a lot of room but does give the engine more to breathe from.

A point about your front brake, not a criticism more an observation. It’s set up like the M80 and earlier models, yours is supposed to be at the front side of the fork leg. It works either way but if you research a bit you’ll see what I mean. As it is if you should be in a situation where the front wheel passes over a rock as an example when it drops down the brake arm could catch on the rock applying said brake. This won’t be a serious issue unless you have the only Bultaco front brake that actually stops you. Just thought I’d mention it?

:thumbup: Thanks for that, I'd actually thought about getting some larger than standard roundels made as per my avatar! Of memory serves the recesses are about 50-ishmm across, I was thinking the only decals would be some 60-75mm green and white stickers (there a company about 5 minutes walk away that does graphics, quoted me about £12 for the pair!

As for the front brake, you are an observant one aren't you ;) and you and @woody are so very close, it's a 199 with a 199-A engine and I think it's an M49 front end! If anyone wants a 49 front end swap I'm open to it ;)

The front end is the same on M27  49 and 80 so it would suit any of those for someone wanting an original set up. Some later bikes also ended up with the tapered forks as well. At least with that front brake you won't have the problem of chrome peeling off

• Like 3

Once you start tinkering with these babies, you have to hoard....  re: front wheel, the spindle diameter is larger on the older type wheel so to fit the later wheel you'll need the later spindle and need to sleeve the spindle housing in the forks, maybe just on the brake side, but can't remember.

Just a thought, if you can find a later type torque arm they have an extension for the outer cable locator which is a bolt on part, as there is no lug on the brake plate on the later wheel, With that, you might be able to reverse the brake arm if that's what you want to do. Not something I've ever done on my own bikes but I understand the point s/s was making

• Like 2

10 hours ago, section swept said:

Not a Bultaco parts hoarder are you?

I wish!

I could have saved myself a lot of money :lol: I had a garage clear out years ago when I never thought I'd get round to fixing it, a pair of forks, triple tree, rear wheel, clubfoot exhaust, airbox and seat all went in a skip :rolleyes:

• Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

Went into the garage today to attempt to discover why my carb appears to have magical powers.

Insomuch as it manages to p*** more fuel out of the bottom than you put in to the top. I should patent it and sell the design to Shell?

I got side-tracked by what @section swept said......Damn you! ;) 

NSxo1v4.jpg

Other stuff I found.....and am willing to part with.

I think this is off a Montesa judging by the gas cap?

KX5VAbi.jpg

Now I had to cut a holly tree that was growing through this...I also have the frame for it, see the first page.

umYDLd1.jpgpRscCJI.jpg

5TYgIgo.jpg

If anyone is interested in the chair and frame, let me know :)

14 hours ago, speshal said:

I wish!

I could have saved myself a lot of money :lol: I had a garage clear out years ago when I never thought I'd get round to fixing it, a pair of forks, triple tree, rear wheel, clubfoot exhaust, airbox and seat all went in a skip :rolleyes:

Think we’ve all been there at some stage or other.

3 hours ago, speshal said:

Went into the garage today to attempt to discover why my carb appears to have magical powers.

Insomuch as it manages to p*** more fuel out of the bottom than you put in to the top. I should patent it and sell the design to Shell?

I got side-tracked by what @section swept said......Damn you! ;) 

NSxo1v4.jpg

Other stuff I found.....and am willing to part with.

I think this is off a Montesa judging by the gas cap?

KX5VAbi.jpg

Now I had to cut a holly tree that was growing through this...I also have the frame for it, see the first page.

umYDLd1.jpgpRscCJI.jpg

5TYgIgo.jpg

If anyone is interested in the chair and frame, let me know :)

Just rushed out into the garden and rummaged around in me bushes but no scrap bike parts potentially worth a Bonhams ransom price....just Mr.Toad? soaking in the damp?atmosphere.

• Like 1