2017 Models Released. Opinions?

markg

I hear the 300RR is coming to Canada this year... great to see Honda ramping up the trials market in North America.

Now if I could just get one of my local Honda shops to get me a 2017 300RR and the 4 Ride as an avalible option I would be in heaven!  (300RR for me and a 4 Ride for my wife, and me to barrow) :)

But alas, I am in the trials vortex of the US... :wall:

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

i know of 2 places that have a 300rr coming in that are not spoken for i finally found one thats coming in april down in TX A dealer in CA. and PA have one coming in i think Brian in Ca has 2 coming

Apparently Trump is going to ban all imports to create more jobs in the U.S.

So y'all have to wait until Harley Davidson comes out with a trials motorcicle.

Good luck with that.

By the way, found this info on Facebook regarding Montesa in the U.S.:

"Montesa's are on an open order this year, no more crazy ordering and limited quantities."

Edited by guys
  • Like 1

I heard Honda have been licencing 2 stroke fuel injection systems, could this be the new 2018 Cota. That would really shake things up, with Honda's dealership network it wouldn't take them long to go to number 1 in the Trials world.

Unfortunately it's only wishful thinking, i dont think Honda are interested in anything more than getting their bikes into Europe through the Montesa   factory and having another world championship on their wall.

Would be nice though. 

• 1 month later...

Just got a new stock 2017 and 'white' 260 4RT to replace my old 2005 250 4RT and what a difference. Obviously I've applied some carbon fiber - as is essential!! No changes to gearing or anything like that. tick-over at 850 RPM (not 1800 RPM)

I know the 250 is old, 11 or so years, but it runs well and still has lots of power, but the new 260? It's like everything has been improved by 10-20%, but its the same and 'feeling' bike in general.

I'm a 50/50 (Clubman expert) route rider, intermediate and somewhat over the hill (so to speak) but have ridden nationals/scottish and various bikes from 1980 on-wards. So maybe that will give you some idea of how to read my comments below. But I am still and and#39;trying' to improve - yes even now  at my age the delusion continues.

Anyway these are my impressions of a 2017-260 4RT versus a 2005-250 4RT:

Steering:
Tighter turning (not as tight as a beta) but much tighter than the old 250.

Steering balance when swinging the rear around is more stable. Even I can swing the back around on the 260.

Handle bars slightly lower than the 250. Taking a bit of getting used to.

Front suspension (Tech):

Taken a while to get used to, but faster action than old Showa on the 250 (and yes I have replaced the oil and bushes) the 250 is still smooth, but the new tech forks on the 260 are some how faster moving and you can do tricks easier with less effort. It just feels more and 'active'. It's like the spring is somehow progressive in compression. This is me speaking genuinely and not drinking the marketing Kool-Aid

Rear suspension:

The rear shock seemed about right out of the box, I may put a little more pre-load on, but for back wheel traction and hopping it again feels more and and 'active'. It's not to say the old Showa rear shock was bad (I have had it rebuilt and a stiffer spring put on - which made a huge difference) it's just a more active feeling in comparison to the and 'absorbing' feeling of the older bike.

Suspension general:

It's like the bike is able to still absorb shock when you want it to, but you can also inject some physical effort into it to hop and bounce it about. With the 250 I feel it absorbs most of my effort when I want to load or unload the suspension this make me have to work harder.

Footrests:

Not bad as stock, but I've replaced them with wider jitsie ones (put the new 260 ones on the old 250). Position is very good - in fact I fitted some Mitani hangers on the 250 years ago and these made a big difference). I've measures the Mitani hanger + foot rest on the 250 and compared it to the 260 and they are now identical. So if you had a stock 250 your hangers would not have been as far back as the new 260 (or my 250 with Mitani hangers). I've left the stock hangers on the 260 and while they look a bit crappy I understand they are and and 'sacrificial' i.e. if somethings is going to bend/break best its the hanger and not the foot rest of the frame.

Clutch:

I have a Mitani works clutch in the old 250 and this is a very big improvement of the stock clutch, but the new 260 way - way better than this. A much smoother action over a much longer range of engagement, no snatch at all and a really gentle engagement (when you want it). This is a quite obvious major improvement and the first thing that you really notice.

Engine:

Well, to start with: dual mapped throttle as standard - what a difference in power delivery.

Mode 1: (full power mode) snappy and punchy right from the off - much crisper delivery than the old 250 and in combination with the clutch make steps easier to lift the front wheel to. That new fuel pumps has made a difference here.

Mode 2: (pussy cat mode) suddenly you feel like your brain focus on being gentle in mud has a helper to control your wrist action. In mud with mode two I always feel I can select the next higher gear and stuff I was spinning up in suddenly is giving traction.

Overall more power and more torque than the 250 (I really have noticed this - the 300 RR must be a monster).

The fancy valve to stop the engine breaking - this is what I was most worried about - I like engine breaking you see.

I thought I was going to end up with the rev limited 2 stoke. Well I haven't. It's certainly no 2 stoke, the engine breaking is less but if you are a 2 stroke guy you've be saying and and 'I thought I could use the engine flywheel on this'. If you are a two stroke guy do not be swayed by the marketing there is still lots of engine breaking here.

Well you can use the flywheel but just not quite a much as a two stroke). So on my old 250 on steep climbs I really would have to watch my step with rolling the throttle off, but with the new 260 when you roll off there really is a and 'flywheel effect'. So now my old (very old actually) two stroke techniques can be brought back into play somewhat.

So for me the big worry about no engine breaking has turned into the resurrection of an old 2 stroke technique of over rev-spinup-roll off and use the flywheel (and mud free rear wheel) to provide the drive. This does not work with the old 250 but on the 260 works really, really well. It's the two stroke fly wheel effect divided by 2 or 3 - but nice (IMO).

I still have the 250 4rt (my son rides it) so its great to be able to try the same practice sections on both bike with different techniques.

But the bottom line will come this year to see if my and and 'dabbage' is reduced.

I saw a comment in this site about us 4RT riders and and 'dining of a new white 4RT cosmetic changed bike'.

Well I suppose if you have a 2016 260 4RT upgrading might be questionable (and the meal is a meagre one) - but anyone with a 250 Montesa 4RT (Repsol or Stock) would see a big difference (and it's like a feast of improvements across the board).

So for me with a 2005 Montesa 250 4RT the change to a 2017 260 4RT is a big evolutionary step (not a revolution - like twin shock to mono shock - or drum to disc brakes), but is really is a big improvement.

I hope this helps anyone else looking to get a new Monetsa 260 4RT.

Obviously I'm biased, been riding Montesa 4RT since 2010 but I've tried to capture the differences as I see them.

Edited by stevelimb
  • Like 6

Just got a new stock 2017 and 'white' 260 4RT to replace my old 2005 250 4RT and what a difference. Obviously I've applied some carbon fiber - as is essential!! No changes to gearing or anything like that. tick-over at 850 RPM (not 1800 RPM)

I know the 250 is old, 11 or so years, but it runs well and still has lots of power, but the new 260? It's like everything has been improved by 10-20%, but its the same and 'feeling' bike in general.

I'm a 50/50 (Clubman expert) route rider, intermediate and somewhat over the hill (so to speak) but have ridden nationals/scottish and various bikes from 1980 on-wards. So maybe that will give you some idea of how to read my comments below. But I am still and and#39;trying' to improve - yes even now  at my age the delusion continues.

Anyway these are my impressions of a 2017-260 4RT versus a 2005-250 4RT:

Steering:

Tighter turning (not as tight as a beta) but much tighter than the old 250.

Steering balance when swinging the rear around is more stable. Even I can swing the back around on the 260.

Handle bars slightly lower than the 250. Taking a bit of getting used to.

Front suspension (Tech):

Taken a while to get used to, but faster action than old Showa on the 250 (and yes I have replaced the oil and bushes) the 250 is still smooth, but the new tech forks on the 260 are some how faster moving and you can do tricks easier with less effort. It just feels more and 'active'. It's like the spring is somehow progressive in compression. This is me speaking genuinely and not drinking the marketing Kool-Aid

Rear suspension:

The rear shock seemed about right out of the box, I may put a little more pre-load on, but for back wheel traction and hopping it again feels more and and 'active'. It's not to say the old Showa rear shock was bad (I have had it rebuilt and a stiffer spring put on - which made a huge difference) it's just a more active feeling in comparison to the and 'absorbing' feeling of the older bike.

Suspension general:

It's like the bike is able to still absorb shock when you want it to, but you can also inject some physical effort into it to hop and bounce it about. With the 250 I feel it absorbs most of my effort when I want to load or unload the suspension this make me have to work harder.

Footrests:

Not bad as stock, but I've replaced them with wider jitsie ones (put the new 260 ones on the old 250). Position is very good - in fact I fitted some Mitani hangers on the 250 years ago and these made a big difference). I've measures the Mitani hanger + foot rest on the 250 and compared it to the 260 and they are now identical. So if you had a stock 250 your hangers would not have been as far back as the new 260 (or my 250 with Mitani hangers). I've left the stock hangers on the 260 and while they look a bit crappy I understand they are and and 'sacrificial' i.e. if somethings is going to bend/break best its the hanger and not the foot rest of the frame.

Clutch:

I have a Mitani works clutch in the old 250 and this is a very big improvement of the stock clutch, but the new 260 way - way better than this. A much smoother action over a much longer range of engagement, no snatch at all and a really gentle engagement (when you want it). This is a quite obvious major improvement and the first thing that you really notice.

Engine:

Well, to start with: dual mapped throttle as standard - what a difference in power delivery.

Mode 1: (full power mode) snappy and punchy right from the off - much crisper delivery than the old 250 and in combination with the clutch make steps easier to lift the front wheel to. That new fuel pumps has made a difference here.

Mode 2: (pussy cat mode) suddenly you feel like your brain focus on being gentle in mud has a helper to control your wrist action. In mud with mode two I always feel I can select the next higher gear and stuff I was spinning up in suddenly is giving traction.

Overall more power and more torque than the 250 (I really have noticed this - the 300 RR must be a monster).

The fancy valve to stop the engine breaking - this is what I was most worried about - I like engine breaking you see.

I thought I was going to end up with the rev limited 2 stoke. Well I haven't. It's certainly no 2 stoke, the engine breaking is less but if you are a 2 stroke guy you've be saying and and 'I thought I could use the engine flywheel on this'. If you are a two stroke guy do not be swayed by the marketing there is still lots of engine breaking here.

Well you can use the flywheel but just not quite a much as a two stroke). So on my old 250 on steep climbs I really would have to watch my step with rolling the throttle off, but with the new 260 when you roll off there really is a and 'flywheel effect'. So now my old (very old actually) two stroke techniques can be brought back into play somewhat.

So for me the big worry about no engine breaking has turned into the resurrection of an old 2 stroke technique of over rev-spinup-roll off and use the flywheel (and mud free rear wheel) to provide the drive. This does not work with the old 250 but on the 260 works really, really well. It's the two stroke fly wheel effect divided by 2 or 3 - but nice (IMO).

I still have the 250 4rt (my son rides it) so its great to be able to try the same practice sections on both bike with different techniques.

But the bottom line will come this year to see if my and and 'dabbage' is reduced.

I saw a comment in this site about us 4RT riders and and 'dining of a new white 4RT cosmetic changed bike'.

Well I suppose if you have a 2016 260 4RT upgrading might be questionable (and the meal is a meagre one) - but anyone with a 250 Montesa 4RT (Repsol or Stock) would see a big difference (and it's like a feast of improvements across the board).

So for me with a 2005 Montesa 250 4RT the change to a 2017 260 4RT is a big evolutionary step (not a revolution - like twin shock to mono shock - or drum to disc brakes), but is really is a big improvement.

I hope this helps anyone else looking to get a new Monetsa 260 4RT.

Obviously I'm biased, been riding Montesa 4RT since 2010 but I've tried to capture the differences as I see them.

Thanks, very interesting

I have a 2007 Repsol (based on a 2005 bike) and I am very interested in your comments

stevelimb, Excellent write up. My wonderful wife surprised me Christmas morning with this beside the tree! I've always wanted a Montesa but they have never been available or dealers just didn't want to get them because of the ordering hassle. When our dealer friend called her and said it was available she bought it. Obviously I was surprised! I have the best wife in the world!!

I ride the Intermediate line and have had several 2t trials bikes and currently ride a Beta 300 4t so I am excited to see the differences between the bikes. Your description above is both through and accurate. I agree with your analogy's, the suspension is lively compared to anything I've ridden before. I'm finding that it is easy to get the bike to jump up onto obstacles when you load then unload the pegs. It doesn't turn as tight as the Beta but I find that that really isn't much of a problem if you are comfortable leaning the bike more. I have found that when I go full lock on the Beta that it is prone to pushing the front tire instead of letting it roll. The clutch is smooth and somewhat progressive on release and one thing I really like is that the plates don't stick together! Start the bike and put it in gear, no drag and no uncontrolled starts because you forgot to un-stick the plates. The engine is phenomenal, easy to start and smooooth and feels every bit a powerful as my 300 4t. A big plus is that the manual says 91 octane gas or higher, nothing exotic required. It's a Honda, what else would you expect. :)  I find the engine braking to be about a third less than my Beta, it still has some but not as much as the Beta. It took me a few hours of peg time to overcome the different feel of the Beta four stroke, I think that acclamation time would be less on the Montesa because of less engine braking. I only mentioned this because everyone that tries 4t power usually doesn't like it after their first ride. I held back for quite a while before taking the plunge. I'm really glad I did!  I've only got a few hours on this bike but I can tell everyone for a fact, it is one incredible machine!

newbike (1).png

• Like 3