Help Crossing Angled Logs

I rode to the edge of my property to do some trial riding to break up the monotony of practicing in my back yard and came across a couple of logs at a steep angle to the trail.  There isn't enough room on the trail to hit them perpendicular.  How do you cross them without kicking the rear end out from under you or stepping down to pivot turn over them?

If it's a slick log you want to barely touch the front wheel and do a floating turn to square up as much as possible then anticipate the rear sliding over. If the log has grippy bark, then you can jab the front end into the log and do a floater.

• Like 1

Learn to do them correctly straight on. (Double blip, Jap Zap or splatter) And it is the same at an angle.  

Thanks.  The angle is around 45 degrees so I guess I just need to do it and not worry about it. :hyper:

it will only slide if you allow the bike to exert a non perpendicular force.

"un weight" the bike as much as possible front and especially rear and the sliding is reduced, try on small stuff first.

Thanks.  I am going to setup a few logs in my back yard where there is more "room for error" if I mess up.  I will first try some logs perpendicular to the bike, add some at an angle and then at an angle with some extra height to add a challenge to it.  Progression is the key.  I just have to keep reminding myself that. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

In learning the technique , wet or dry makes a massive difference ! I've seen more than one pro class rider crash because it was wetter and slicker than thought ....

It doesn't take much moisture to turn a dry small log into a greased pole !

Just say'in ! and if it's in a section at a event , it's worse every loop ....

Glenn B)

• Like 1

I've seen pro's lose it because of a wet log ...  It gets worse every loop of a a event . And it doesn't take much moisture to turn a dry small log into a greased pole across your path ........

Glenn B)

• Like 1