Budget Trials Build

andrep

Hahahaa, yeah, it´s really been awhile!!!!
I actually have no clue how it´s going to effect performance but at this point I´m just trying to make stuff happen.
Are you referring to the pipe size or something about the length, width...?

GOOD NEWS!
It´s alive!!!!!!
Finished welding the exhaust today and once this was finished started playing around with the engine.
Turned out to be a bad ignition coil, it sparked a few times but then stopped working, once I changed it, sparks were strong and constat!
First start lasted 15-20 seconds and then ended in a bang and died. Tried to kickstart it again and the lever felt odd and engine sounded wierd also.
Turned out the flywheel came loos and also snapped the wedge so REALLY enjoyed making a new one -_ - smallest piece I´ve ever fabricated :D
51579257_2128815824115422_3805364792605016064_n.thumb.jpg.90365b59a25e69fb2b4aa35176dc0460.jpg
Now the carb needs tuning and this is ...well, new to me :)
I think it´s lean, because as soon as I switched off the choke it died. Took it apart also, just to be sure that all the jets were clean and while I was at it, rised the needle one clip (now in the second slot from above)
The fuel that was in the tank had also sit for a year so called it a day, carb is back on and I´ll start reading about this stuff and will also take new petrol with me :)
51028543_287602821904959_1839486191674589184_n.jpg.41f0d3e1d7277a00852fc1040f21c4b6.jpg

Still really happy that it started after 10 or more years of sitting in pieces and hopefully the clutch and gearbox work also :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:37 PM, andrep said:

Well, this small brake turned into a year... almost :D
But, all is not lost, just been extremely busy and been dealing with all kinds of other stuff, today felt like a good time to pick up this build.
I haven´t been to the garage almost half a year, was happy to find everything in place and nothing stolen :)  Now I finaly got gas for the welder and switched out the wire, dear lord, it´s a complitly different machine now!!!
Filled the gearbox with ATF and hopefully it will start working, so as soon as I finish the exhaust I´ll try to get it running before building anything else (maybe just the subframe so I could push-start it)

50927104_1140486096112222_371925789668540416_n.thumb.jpg.ba3ca3e07ab150141729201340738ba0.jpg
Made an exhaust flange from 5mm steel and cut up the donor pipes.
51492393_556341488176242_6745976373002633216_n.jpg.b96cc82987fbe81b152291dfe4c333d0.jpg

Now it´s starting to look like something...
51509279_622248771575800_9079451522466578432_n.thumb.jpg.7f6382a1efdae3749fed426ac53bb968.jpg
50910817_804901679843357_2884718572519555072_n.thumb.jpg.42d80101513b735a420658e928789c1e.jpg
eJust need to properly weld it up and make a bracket or two and deal with the muffler once the subframe is finished...

OK message received.....a bit rude but you are obviously a good judge of character.Thanks

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oni nou said:

OK message received.....a bit rude but you are obviously a good judge of character.Thanks

What are you reffering to this time?  :D

Edited by andrep
latenight stupidity

4 minutes ago, andrep said:

Sooo, just figured out I´m running a Dellorto 25 though the bike comes with a 24
The main difference is a 10mm wider thottle valve and a different needle (D37 but should be D22) ... how much of a difference is that 10mm making?

What are you reffering to this time?  :D

:D ...........For those who have no idea what this relates to you need to study the pictures of the bike more carefully

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, oni nou said:

:D ...........For those who have no idea what this relates to you need to study the pictures of the bike more carefully

Aahahaha, this was the work of my mate, there´s actually three ?
He is very amusing ... not, but good attention to detail! ?

• 1 month later...

Short brake again but I come bearing bad news...
I just had an idea to see if the cranksaft bearings are any good and found the Beta has a side-to-side movement in the cransaft... and as much as I know this shouldn´t be like that.
So today I took out the engine and cracked it open.
Capture.PNG.74442a92b5ad3f666bb6f74c1f6ab34c.PNG
It´s wierd, cause everything has been changed not long ago, all the bearings look good and the seals also... so now I´m just lost, is it possbile the bearings are aftermarket and wrong size. They´re YOKO 6305.

2 hours ago, andrep said:

And is it okay if the needle (without the slide) falls in to the needle jet till the clip stops it?! Shouldn´t it tottaly close way before that?

Yes it's OK, it should have clearance the whole way along. It stops flowing fuel when the venturi effect stops which is when the slide gets to the bottom

On 3/12/2019 at 1:53 AM, feetupfun said:

Yes it's OK, it should have clearance the whole way along. It stops flowing fuel when the venturi effect stops which is when the slide gets to the bottom

Okay, thanks for that, I´ll buy new bearings for the cranksaft and but it all back together and we´ll see how it works.
Taking it apart I broke the flywheel alinging pin again! Don´t know what material I should make it next but hopefully another steel one will work now :)

4 hours ago, andrep said:

Okay, thanks for that, I´ll buy new bearings for the cranksaft and but it all back together and we´ll see how it works.
Taking it apart I broke the flywheel alinging pin again! Don´t know what material I should make it next but hopefully another steel one will work now :)

Sounds very odd. That key shouldn't see any force if the taper is holding properly

If he's trying to torque the flywheel nut by a method other than holding the flywheel then he might be shearing it off while tightening the nut. And twisting the crank out of alignment too. I'll say this, he's got guts for even trying this. That expansion chamber's going to have a very strange effect with the trials engine porting.

23 hours ago, dan williams said:

If he's trying to torque the flywheel nut by a method other than holding the flywheel then he might be shearing it off while tightening the nut. And twisting the crank out of alignment too. I'll say this, he's got guts for even trying this. That expansion chamber's going to have a very strange effect with the trials engine porting.

No, I´m torquing it by holding the flywheel from the holes drilled and tapped. I´m not going to be really doing any seriouse riding with it, just want to finish something I started almonst 10 years ago! And planning to buy a proper factory built bike once I get this build sorted :)

On 3/15/2019 at 1:59 AM, feetupfun said:

Sounds very odd. That key shouldn't see any force if the taper is holding properly

Yes it´s shouldn´t but the original cracked when I forgot to tighten the flywheel and got it started the first time... so had to make a new one but I´m guessing it´s just isn´t strong enough, will try with a new one tomorrow!