Ossa Mar Front Brake Plate

seedoubleyou

I've had a bit of a disaster this afternoon. Putting the finishing touches to my fresh OSSA MAR restoration and as I was adjusting the front brake cable the threaded post snapped off on one side. So can any wise folks tell me what other models used the same brake plate as I can't find anything on eBay.  Thanks

They were only fitted to the MAR or Explorer (which was just a geared up MAR)

As above you can get a weld repair. It doesn't have to be threaded as the threaded cable adjuster has a locknut which can be used to set the position of the adjuster in the post.

Or you can grind it right off and fit a Bultaco type front brake cable holder which bolts onto the torque arm on the Bultaco. It just needs a hole drilled in the brakeplate to locate it  -  but I'd opt for the welded repair if you can find someone to do it.

You also need to watch the rear brake plate as the alloy casting isn't that strong and if you apply the brake hard the pressure on the slot on the brake plate can snap the top side off meaning the plate will no longer locate on the lug on the inside of the swingarm.  This usually happens because the slot in the brake plate opens up slightly with use over the years which means it is a loose fit on the lug. If you find you have play in the fit of the slot on the lug you can add metal to the lug on the swingarm with weld and then dress to size, or if you can't weld, get some thin sheet alloy or tin and wedge it in to take up any play.