Trials Bike Insurance?

docjay

It really depends on your situation personally if my house burns down and I lose my bike it will be the last thing I am thinking about. Given there are only a handful of trials bikes in Nova Scotia I don't see a big threat of theft... although you never know. 

Liability is worth having if you ride off of your own property.

I have found that Oasis is great and they insure all the WTC events ($5M event liability) so supporting a company that supports trials in Canada is a good thing in my books... they can provide all perils if your situation is such that it would make you feel better insured for those sorts of things.

Basically comes down to personal choice and how you feel about insurance in general.

Edited by michael_t

I am not certain, but not sure that's not what he is talking about. WE are required in BC now to have all off road bikes registered with the government to ride on non private land. You may also insure your trials bike at the same time for a nominal fee which includes theft. But good chance to promote a non entity again on your part. FYI, the insurance you speak of does not even list WTC, because I guess its not a registered society and instead promotes "free" insurance  to trials riders, while it uses the Enduro associations insurance. Paid for by Enduro riders who may or may not know they subsidize it, Round and round you go. It gets tiresome. You have a great new group and do a good job of promoting trials in a relative new area for it. Why not focus on that?

Edited by steve fracy

In Ontario we are required to have liability insurance on off road vehicles if riding on public land. I was just wondering what everyone was doing about theft. Motorcycle theft is pretty common in my area. Three guys I ride with have had bikes stolen from their garages or trailers on their property while they slept.

We had one of our prominent riders on the island have his GG stolen out of a well protected garage. I asked about theft insurance, I believe I was told over $200/year. Someone commented that was pretty steep.....not when you consider how much a new bike is I guess.

Steve

Same deal here in NS we need to have liability insurance to drive off of our own private land. When they made the change to legislation there were actually no companies that would give a kid motorcycle insurance (liability) so I worked with Oasis, Loyds of London, and the NS government to have Oasis bring an insurance product into our market to meet the legislation - it took 3 years.

Theft insurance was a nice benefit of this because before that you would have to insure your kids dirt bike as a road motorcycle to insure it for theft. You could have a $5k mountain bike covered for theft under your home policy but a CRF50 was a "vehicle" so could not be covered for theft.

Steve - just to be clear Oasis does not provide free insurance for anybody... just a good company to work with. When I call them to add another landowner to the existing policy (for hosting events) I can typically get a certificate in a day. There is no additional charge for adding new venues anywhere in Canada and most landowners I work with enjoy knowing they are covered. There are some that don't care but as an organizer I do like knowing I am personally covered.   

oops it appears they do not cover Ontario... 

OASIS Outdoor Adventure & Sport Insurance Solutions Inc. is the author and manager for the Got Toys insurance program for quads, snowmobiles and trail bikes, now operating in BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. We are in the process of obtaining regulatory authority in Alberta, PEI and possibly Newfoundland.

I needed liability ins. on my bike to make them legal for transport ( long story here in Quebec ) $100.00 for $1,000,000.00( yes one million ) one bike and $116.00 for 2 bike ( 1: beta rev 250 2003, 2: 1975 TY ). Liability only, I did not want other protection.

Guy