Brexit - An Opportunity

dadof2

I believe the CBT, moped power restrictions, restricting under 19s to 125s and the complex and expensive motorcycle drivers licensing system is putting quite a few off taking up motorcycling and trials. Much of this legislation was because Tony Blair signed the UK up to harmonising UK & EU driving licences before knowing what this would result in. When this legislation was introduced into the UK under the coalition government they saw no safety benefit in it but implemented it as agreed by previous government.

If sufficient people write to their MPs and the ACU & MAG apply enough pressure there might just be a chance that changes beneficial to motorcycling could be made.

You only need to attend motorcycle gathering areas such as Devils Bridge or look at trial results to see that the motorcycling population is aging with very few new young enthusiasts.

• Like 3

The structured licensing system first came in due to lobbying by an Edinburgh motorcycle dealer but has been developed by the "EU" over the years. I feel there is a need for some sort of graduated licensing system but it does seem to be growing ever more complex (to doubtful benefit). And there should be similar restrictions for car drivers too.

On a slightly different tack, the EU brought in a need to test an emergency manouevre at 31 mph, meaning it could not be be done here due to the 30 mph limit round most or all test centres. Instead of telling the EU that we would do ours at 30 mph thank you very much, the Government spent a fortune on building a mere handful of off the highway test centres many miles away from a lot of potential candidates, which made it too inconvenient for many.

I'm sure similar trivial (but surely avoidable) stupidities as this 1 mph difference have had a disproportionate effect on many aspects of life in Britain and one does wonder if it is an accumulation of this sort of thing that has lead enough people as to make a difference, otherwise perhaps not disinclined towards the idea of "Europe", to have wanted to leave.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

Interesting topic.  In the US, California, there are no restrictions related to age/ engine size that I know of.  You can get a learners permit at 15 1/2 with the only restriction of not being allowed to ride on freeways.  So, I believe a 15 1/2 year old kid can ride a 150 hp sport-bike.  What does get you is insurance cost.  I understand you could spend way more on the road insurance than a new GSXR1000.  What I don't know is if the big cost is collision or liability.  Liability only tends to be cheap.  I'm at the other end of the age spectrum but can road insure 3 bikes with liability only for a little over $100/ year.

Some time ago, the insurance companies tried to ban the super high horsepower bikes.  However, data showed that the big bikes were underrepresented in crash data.  The real crash prone group was the 600cc sport bikes.  I suspect a big part of this may be cost.  Big horsepower tends to cost big money which young people mostly don't have..        

The Daily Mail, Sun or Daily Express comics are the place for this party "political" rubbish, not Trials Central.

What exactly was party political about my post?

Yes the CBT did come in some time in the early or mid 1980s and it was a good idea because it prevented people with no riding experience at all going straight onto the road. When it was first introduced it was usually provided in a few hours on any suitable space near the motorcycle dealer and often the cost was included with the bike purchase. The CBT after EU influence takes a full day, typically costs about £120 plus the theory test about another £50. Also it only lasts 2 years, Why?

Graduated progression before being permitted to drive or ride more powerful vehicles is also basically a good idea. The problem arises when a bunch of bureaucrats who know sweet FA about motorcycling overcomplicate the issue and make it over expensive with few or no positive benefits.

Every year within a hours ride of where I live quite a number of motorcyclists are killed, and in summer there is a serious crash nearly every weekend. Most if not all are aged 40 plus who have taken up motorcycling late in life then got a high powered sports bike after going through the fast track test process. They have virtually no riding experience, only using the bikes for weekend fun in the summer months.

My local road bike dealer will no longer sell 50cc mopeds / scooters because he got fed up with warranty claims because they were being driven flat out all the time. The dealer who I bought my last new road bike ceased trading last year. Warranty claims on blown up 125 engines were a major factor in this. He had to carry about 3 spare engines in stock because they were blowing up frequently due to being driven flat out.

Had I been producing the legislation I would have allowed a 16 year old to have a 250 or 350 but it would have to be electronically limited to say 33 for the first 6 months. Then if no offences or insurance claims let the electronic limiter be increased to 40 mph, then another 6 months to 50 and so on.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I am old enough to remember the reason the bike limit was brought down from 250 to 125 cc was the high number of fatal accidents involving youths who just jumped on a bike capable of 100+ MPH and killing themselves and at times others. this was down to them being unable to either ride or control the bike properly.hence the introduction I for one would shudder to think in this day an age allowing a youth my sons included the chance to just go out and purchase a 250 jump on and ride it. especially as the volume of road traffic has increased dramaticially since its introduction. and most youths are dickheads any way mine including.

• Like 1