Lets Talk Tong

I'm sure the organisers would like feedback from spectators as well as riders so here goes. I'm local to this venue and ride here quite a bit. When it was first announced I thought great but where will they ride. I have to say that I thought the whole weekend was fantastic. The sections turned out to be very spectator friendly and you could comfortably see four or five sections a lap.So I would like to say thanks to the organisers for trying a new venue central to the UK and lets do it again sometime.Anyone got any real negatives from the weekend?

Yes it was a great venue in general. The only real negative (well small quibble) was that quite a few of the sections, being man made were much the same, big steps which were mainly either five or clean. Don't get me wrong its very spectacular and impressive to see the likes of Bou and co ascend what looks impossible. But being a traditionalist I like to see a more natural terrain that is tricky and shows off the subtle skills of a top naturally talented rider also. Often its not the big stuff that takes the marks off Bou and co, but the tricky testing parts that require silk like throttle control and millimetre precision and timing.

Well done to the organisers for putting on a great event!

Edited by dav cc
  • Like 1

I'm same as you, live local ridden there etc. I too thought it was brilliantly laid out and the last world round I saw (not counting Sheffield) was at Pateley Bridge! Note to self must go more often. The riding was spectacular. I watched the whole entry on the first lap go through section 3 and the format worked brilliantly with the classes coming through in ascending order of section severity. Thank you for providing a world class event in my back garden just about. Lets do it all again next year.

• Like 1

Best section I watched on Saturday was number 2 which was a proper uk traditional section and it took lots of marks from the top boys. Only Dibs and Bou cleaned on lap one.

A couple more like that would have been good but really enjoyed the event.

• Like 1

It was a fantastic event lots of hard work done by all involved, made for a great watch, but...It was pretty much an outdoor indoor. As per other comments surely we have other locations with enough natural terrain to test the riders. I too would prefer to watch something like that and walk a little further on the day if needs be.

We went saturday and enjoyed the day. My feedback: food was expensive, signposting appeared to be non existent, much prefer the venue over penrith, viewing was good and you could get close to the action, a few young kids (not competitors) riding around (including on a sidecar) through the spectators surprised me, couldn't hear the guy on the pa near the last section.

Wasn't there but it seems man made stuff has to be made to take marks at most WTC venues and for the spectators this can be spectacular better than riders pushing through mud as some have suggested.....Twin shocks are no more!!

The modern trials machine is exceptional and Joe Clubman awaits each year for the next improvement and some too have suggested that we should make the bikes less progressive......that ain't gonna happen.

Well done the Brits in all classes, but Mr Bou is in a class on his own and I congratulate him on his WTC this year in 2016 and 2017, 2018, 2019 would you bet against it??

On the Sunday some sections were altered. traditional sections were 2, 4,5, part of 6, and then 8 was a real mudplugger at the beginning and took loads of marks. i felt some of the  other gates could have been tightened on Sunday. All in all a good mix.

Warning:Negative review coming up

What an absolute terrible venue! Slightly better than penrith but still, is this the best the UK can put forward as a world championship venue? Ive ridden a lot of trials around the UK and i wouldnt put this venue in the top 20. Its basically a muddy dump, with random rocks added. The venue looks like it was past its best 20 years ago. Are we not supposed to try and promote this sport? How are we supposed to attract people into trials with a venue like that. What a disappointment. Who suggests a venue like this? Who vetos a venue like this? Im a keen trials rider and i felt embarrassed being there. I would dread to think how i would have felt if the person i was trying to talk into going had of actually went. Countless better venues throughout the uk, why arent we using them???