Helmet Rating And Use

seedoubleyou

Hi there. I do a lot of different riding including road racing, trials and pottering around on an old 1969 Triumph Tiger100. I've always used a full race on the road, but I'm trying to work out whether a trials helmet is rated for road use. I'm very rarely over 60mph on the Triumph, but when trailing I'd be surprised if I go over 6mph. What's the view here? How do they rate these trials helmets? Are they ok for road riding? Thanks

In the UK, any road helmet must be built to British Standard BS6658:1985 and carry a BSI Kitemark.

They can be upto equivalent EU standards offering the same protection levels as BS6658 and should carry the equivalent mark.

I don't think many trials helmets are road legal. They tend to be designed to be light, flow lots of air and to protect against low speed impacts.

Having said that, I don't know how the SSDT guys get on?

You'll be hard pushed to find a modern trials helmet with a BSI sticker on it.

The helmet manufacturers now use the ECE 22.05 standard which is accepted by around 50 countries worldwide.

The ECE 22.05 label is normally stitched on to the helmet chinstrap.

As most of the current trials helmets are ECE 22.05 certificated, they are legal to use on the road in the UK.

Edited by dabba

I dont like the look of the modern trials helmets, so i got a open faced road helmet

Duchinni D501 - Matt Black cost me £37, even has a internal sun visor you can pull down if needed.

If you want the info on where to get it, just message me

post-22624-0-02841800-1468934793_thumb.jpg

Edited by shakennstirred