Help Needed.

myyry

I think you will find that is my bike....can you please return it as soon as. Only joking, that is a very nice looking twin,and if it's yours well done, if your thinking of buying it then go for it. Obviously a twin is a bit heavier and it's a hard tail, but that will be a sweet ride.....enjoy.

• Like 2

Hi myyry,

It is not possible to tell from the photo how much of the bike is original or how much very well made replica.  It is very similar to the Triumph Trophy trials model ridden by all the works trials riders up to the 1960s, then Roy Peplow and Johnny Giles 'made' swinging arm versions, they were the only two Triumph swinging arm twins ridden in national trials ever ridden as so called 'works' bikes in trials in the UK.

The popular belief was that any advantage gained by adding a sprung rear was vastly lost due to the increased weight, but this thinking radically changed in 1954 when Bob Manns, riding a swinging arm converted AJS bike he had created himself, in the national West of England trial, beat all the rest of the manufacturers soundly and there was a headlong rush to swinging arms.

Bikes such as yours can still be ridden with success and pleasure in properly constituted classic trials where there is a separate class for rigid machines, with suitably arranged sections - but you don't tell us what your intention is, where you plan to ride it, etc., so I can't offer any help there.

As an interesting sideline, in the southern half of the UK in the areas where there is more mud or sand used for sections, many prefer the ride on a rigid.  Geoff Chandler, pictured, used his in the Southern Centre long after most other riders had converted to springers. 

post-19290-0-58533600-1469436215_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 3

Than you for all the replies, "the bike" was advertised as "1948 Triumph Speedtwin Trials 500". Heres a few more pictures and all information is welcome.

Thank you very much,

Myyry

post-22813-0-70735200-1469449538_thumb.jpg

post-22813-0-75431400-1469449550_thumb.jpg

post-22813-0-59405900-1469449568_thumb.jpg

If you are,as you say new to classic trials - then it would help us to know what you intend to do with that bike,where you are based and how far you would drive to use it. The bike has clearly been set up to use in Classic trials,its not going to win any awards at shows,its a working bike - and it needs to be ridden and enjoyed.At the right event it will be great fun and very satisfying to ride,any spectators will love the sight and sound of it.Please use it, despite what some people would have you believe there are still trials around where that bike will put on a good show.

• Like 2

Thank you for the reply.

This bike is in Tarragona Spain, I went to see it, fell in love with the looks of it and when I heard it, I knew I had to have it.

I intend to register it in Barcelona Spain, use it occasionally in the city as well as few times a year do a longer offroad trip up the coast. Time will tell if I take it to some local pre-65 trials races.

Ah, can't help much with classic trials in Spain ! Although having driven back through Barcelona's morning rush hour to the airport a couple of weeks ago, I think the Trumpy may not be ideal for city use.You would almost certainly need to raise the gearing,and the riding position with the footrests set back for trials soon becomes uncomfortable on the road.

Maybe others on here have better local knowledge of the trials situation there,the terrain certainly lends itself to trials,I couldn't help noticing whilst driving back from the Pyrenees.

• Like 1