Changing 2 Stroke Oil Mix

supersup

Hi guys , I've been riding a gasgas250 pro since May using Plutoline 2 stroke as per the previous owner. Have read a few forums I have decided to change to Ipone. Not sure whether I should drain the tank /clean out the carb before changing or just mix it up and pour in the tank.  The bike has been running ok but seems to struggle a little at tick over. I have been mixing 80ml/5litres.

Any advice welcome.. Thanks in advance

Very much doubt this has anything to do with the oil or mix ratio

I run my pro on 50:1 without any problems or smoke :thumbup: 

Oil brand and ratio seem to be very personal choices, the owners manual is probably the best starting point

Edited by suzuki250

Kevin will no doubt have experience to back up what he says but I ran Silkolene for many years on a Beta with no problems. I genuinely would like to know what the problem with it might be.

More importantly, when I used Ipone the markings on the bottle were very inaccurate, to the point of possibly being detrimental to the motor on a lean ratio. Notwithstanding that it's a good idea to measure accurately with a syringe or suchlike anyway.

Kevin will no doubt have experience to back up what he says but I ran Silkolene for many years on a Beta with no problems. I genuinely would like to know what the problem with it might be.

More importantly, when I used Ipone the markings on the bottle were very inaccurate, to the point of possibly being detrimental to the motor on a lean ratio. Notwithstanding that it's a good idea to measure accurately with a syringe or suchlike anyway.

I have been on silkolene for years on Beta and GasGas, and would be interested in his reasons as well or anyone who knows of problems with it!

Thank you for the replies . When I bought the bike the lady who owned it was mixing 80ml to /5 litres so that's what I carried on with.Do people actually measure the fuel or rely on the forecourt to deliver 5 litres when it says? I have been using a measuring jug for the oil so I know that has been ok. . I'm off for a masterclass with Dougie Lampkin tomorrow so stressing that the bike stays reliable. Wish me luck.

• 2 years later...

2 tanks of petrol without any oil in at all run through a 125 GasGas pro before it mildly seized up as reported in a recent post.........and here the oil  has to be special and measured  to within 0.5 of a cc or the engine may blow up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! I am new in Trials and these exact figures makes me smile when I remember how we used to mix the fuel many many years ago. Anyway - when you look at the manual it says: 1.5% of synthetic oil OR 4% of mineral oil which makes 1:25 ratio. I personally think it is bit rich and smoky (chain saw runs on 1:50) but there you are. If you are using mineral oil, there is a cheap and cheerful mixing bottle in Screwfix: 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-hp-120-2-stroke-engine-oil-mixing-bottle/46908?_requestid=617461

BTW, have you seen a manual for Beta 2008 which would have a maintenance schedule clearly readable and pictures unobstructed by pinky blobs?