2002 To 2008 Gas Gas Txt Pro Differences / Upgrades

drca

Hi:

Newbie here looking to replace my Scorpa by a Gas Gas and I am looking at the TXT Pro 2002. Why this years?  Because I live in California, land of the fruits and nuts and thanks to some pretty aggressive environmentalists there are no post 2002 trials bike that can be legally ridden year round on public land... I can get into more of the details, but basically any off road bike newer than 2002 bike will be issued a "red sticker" which will make it illegal to ride on public land during the 6 to 7 months around summer.  There are ways around that, some legal, some not as much... but that's another discussion altogether.

So... I am in the market for a 2002 bike that will be ride-able year round but that I can upgrade to more recent bike specs (there are no rules against upgrading the suspensions.  Changing the motor is probably more of a grey area but very doable).  And since I am a trials newbie, I really don't need (yet!) the latest factory edition bike...

My plan is to buy a 2002 TXT Pro in good shape and slowly update the components to get me a reasonably performing and reliable bike. So I have a few questions:

• First one is from looking at the Gas Gas TXT Pro lineup from 2002 on, it looks like the design has been pretty stable until 2008.  Does anyone know what are the biggest changes during that time frame and which ones are worth considering upgrading to?  Are all the body parts the same?  Suspensions?

• 250's are very hard to find, the most common model (at least in the US) seems to be the 280.  I am concerned that it might be a little too much for a beginner... What's the wisdom on that?  Can the motor be detuned?  Since the 250 and 280 engines have the same stroke, I could always put a 250 cylinder and piston...

• Suspension wise - I am on the heavier side (230 Lbs with no gear), so clearly I'll need at the minimum stiffer springs.  Are these available for the stock components?  Is an upgrade to more modern suspension components worth it (and how much would it cost)?  Assuming that on a bike that age the suspensions will need to be rebuilt soon, that might be worth it.

• The 2002 Pro model was a first year design and I've read that the biggest issue was the clutch.  Some bikes got upgraded to a newer clutch, how can I check that?  How much does the upgrade cost (in parts, I can do the labor myself).

• I also read that there might be some possible issues with the ignition and that parts for the original ignition where hard if not impossible to find.  How common of a problem this is?

• Parts availability - what's the availability of parts for these bikes?  One of the reason to get rid of my Scorpa is that getting parts is more and more difficult (I order them from Dherby Moto in France - probably the biggest trials bikes dealer in the country - and there are parts they can't get anymore).

• Anyone knows someone willing to let go of a 2002 TXT Pro?  Or must a frame (with MSO or Title).

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks.

DC

Especially the 2002 model can best be avoided in my opinion (and probably most people).

I understand your problem with the regulations. Maybe buy a 2002 frame (availability however), and a later bike?

Search for info on the 2002 bike, should be plenty on this forum about it. But to name some:

Airbox was bad, gearbox

See it as a ''beta'' (not the brand, lol) bike. However, if it still runs maybe it has been upgraded?

In general the pro design has not changed much from 2003onwards to 2008. 2009 is a new frame. Other more minor changes are however e.g.:

2005+ 40mm forks

Electrics and ignition system have been different brands

Crank bearings 2005+ are of the improved type (with o rings etc included in the bearing)

Exhaust mid and end silencer is one peace (better imo) I think 2007+

Plastics etc should be no problem to fit. Fender shapes are different however not where they mount. 2008 e.g has more shape in the fenders, but older types fit.

After 2009 the routing of the cool system changed e.g.

Just to name some.

Edited by crazybond700

had a 2002 txt pro 250, ok it was a mint hardly used bike when i got it, i changed the airbox tube, upped the rear spring and played with the forks & it was great, it never missed a beat, the clutch was still the nicest of any trialy i've ridden (several).

I've got a 2015 now which cost 3 times as much, is it 3 times better, no way!

at my level, theres nothing I can do on my 2015 that I couldn't do on my 2002

great bike (despite what some say) go for it if its tidy

I think they built the 2001 model bike thru 2003 under the "Edition" tag name as compared to the Pro.

These were a tad heavier, but allways seemed to be a well refined and reliable bike to me.

A good condition Montesa 315 from that vintage would not be bad either!

• Thanks 1