Power

dwb5151

hi I have been going to a lot of trials lately and i have been noticing there isn't really any grade A or B riders riding a 4rt. I was talking to one grade A rider who was selling his 2015 repsol and he said coming from a 290 GAS GAS with the vertex top end to a 260 there is less power. He also said he was having to rev it like crazy to get it to go up anything steep.  Do you's think a montesa 4rt 260 would be plenty of power for a grade B or grade A rider. When I rode the 2015 repsol there was an extreme amount of torque of it which i thought would have gave grade A and B riders an advantage. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

My opinion and view only. When the 4RT came out in 2005 I rode one for about fifteen minutes and that was enough for me . Not for me. I rode a trials today with the guy that had bought that 4RT. He has had 8 new Beta`s since then. And I know at least a dozen people with the same story. Been there done that. The Montesa is a wonderfully engineered bike, just not everyone`s cup of tea.

It was just i was noticing none of the grade A riders were riding 4 strokes all of them were riding 2 stroke bikes. Dont get me wrong there are more montesa's than any other make of bike but they where all grade c and D who were riding them. This would also make since why everyone wants a 300 montesa instead of a 260. But the problem  is the cota rr isnt even a full 300 (289) and not many people can afford £8000 on a bike.

When does power make you a better rider? I have never come across a section in a trial (or practicing) where lack of power hasn't allowed me to do the section. Its lack of skill and not knowing how to use the power correctly.

• Like 3

My opinion and view only. When the 4RT came out in 2005 I rode one for about fifteen minutes and that was enough for me . Not for me. I rode a trials today with the guy that had bought that 4RT. He has had 8 new Beta`s since then. And I know at least a dozen people with the same story. Been there done that. The Montesa is a wonderfully engineered bike, just not everyone`s cup of tea.

A 15 minutes test 11 years ago by some old dude. Seems valid.  

Edited by twinshocked
  • Like 2

A 15 minutes test 11 years ago by some old dude that was over the hill 30 years ago. Seems valid.  

Hmm. I just set the ITSA national with a bunch of old dudes from Tennessee driving from Tennessee to New Mexico. You might ask Dustin if we actually ride. In fact let me know when you actually ride an NATC national and I`ll be obliged to see you in person. Another  guy riding vintage that never could ride?

The Tennessee guys are in blue on the right. P. S. I frequently work on 3 2016 4 RT`s sure the foot peg position is better, but same answer. ( I did buy two rear fenders last week for 24 dollars each, so that was a positive) Like I said, not for me. Or I`ll be scoring the World Round in Arizona next year, just saying.

20160813_092150_zpsu0ew7c7a.jpg

Edited by lineaway

hi I have been going to a lot of trials lately and i have been noticing there isn't really any grade A or B riders riding a 4rt. I was talking to one grade A rider who was selling his 2015 repsol and he said coming from a 290 GAS GAS with the vertex top end to a 260 there is less power. He also said he was having to rev it like crazy to get it to go up anything steep.  Do you's think a montesa 4rt 260 would be plenty of power for a grade B or grade A rider. When I rode the 2015 repsol there was an extreme amount of torque of it which i thought would have gave grade A and B riders an advantage. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Great bike, plenty of power. Want more, shift up a gear as the torque will pull you through. Remember, you cannot ride a 4T like a 2 stroke....it needs to be ridden like a stroker.

Great bike, plenty of power. Want more, shift up a gear as the torque will pull you through. Remember, you cannot ride a 4T like a 2 stroke....it needs to be ridden like a stroker.

Yea but apparently you use first gear for everything on a 4rt.When compared to a 2 stroke for what i ride u use second or third.

Yea but apparently you use first gear for everything on a 4rt.When compared to a 2 stroke for what i ride u use second or third.

I use second or third plenty in sections on my 4RT, not sure where people get the idea you wouldn't use the others... Edited by jonnyc21

Yea but apparently you use first gear for everything on a 4rt.When compared to a 2 strokes for what i ride u use second or third.

The gearing is not comparable between the 4rt and 2 strokes, torque is everywhere and the gears are long. On std gearing 3rd is quick and is not needed for your average dry section. If you were to attempt a stationary splat in 3rd at full chat on a 4rt, you'd get the forward drive but not the lift. It would be like attempting the same splat in 4th gear on a 2 stroke.

Your friend maybe hadn't mastered the 4rt technique. They love to be at and work well at the top end.

Edited by jrsunt
  • Like 1