Marzocchi Fork Tube Replacement

drca

Hi:

A buddy is looking at buying a 2013 Gas Gas and he told me that the fork has a pretty nasty ding on it.  Here is a crop of the photo he sent me.

post-22725-0-81146700-1471317290_thumb.jpg

To me it looks really bad possible going thru the tube thickness.

Anyways, where can I find a replacement tube (new or used) and how much do they cost?  How much is a replacement fork (new or used)?

Will another fork (like a Formula Tech) fit on that bike without too much trouble?

Finally, my buddy is on the heavy side (230 Lbs / 104 kg / 16.5 stones) so he's wondering if there are stiffer springs for this fork (and bike) and what stiffness would he need (he's a novice).

Thanks for the help.

For other forks you might need other tripple threes. Marzochis are 40mm, tech is 39.

Forks are for sale e.g.

http://www.2bbikes.com/Webwinkel-Product-136104221/binnen-poot-voorvork-40mm-558mm-marzocchi-dun-verloop-boven.html

There is also one in their outlet

http://www.2bbikes.com/Webwinkel-Product-146566781/voorvork-poot-1st-links-40mm-marzocchi-conic-(beschadigd-t.h.v.-inklemmen-kroonplaat)-(outlet).html

Not sure if its the right type? white type?

I think jistie (e.g) distributes heavier springs

Edited by crazybond700

Couple of sets of forks on eBay, also one stantions for £50.00 with slight damage.

Gas gas have been using the same stantions since 2009 / 10 up until 2015 so find an old set of forks and swap out the stantions.

I damaged one by grazing it on rocks and made it good using black nail varnish, It did surprisingly well and cheaper than a new tube at £240. I got a quote from 'Bodycote' to re-coat the black surface £400 +VAT each.

A possibility to temporary repair the one pictured could be to use a a double bubble epoxy to cover the hole and then smooth it down to blend it in.  

Secondhand is the way to go! 

Dherbey Moto has tubes (new) for €233 Euros... so that might be the way to go if the damage it too bad.  Altho a new fork is only (!) €670...  So it might be better just to get a new fork (considering that the "damaged" fork will probably need new seals, an oil change and possibly bushings) and sell the old one for parts!!!

Decisions... decisions!