Doug's Wheelie

dabber

I was at Union Mills when Dave Taylor passed on his attempt. I think he was credited with having achieved success despite, I think it was said, a couple of momentary touchdowns.

I'm sure my TL 250 was even heavier than the impression given by John Noakes on lifting it?

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

"dabber" posted:

"Seems to be some chat around saying Dave Taylor did a full lap of the TT course in the seventies (it's clear he didn't)"

He did, as I recall about the year Dougie was born. Good if his effort is being recognised now.

Edited by cleanorbust

The fact Dave did it on an XT500 is a feat in itself, I was fortunate enough to be a friend of Dave and he was years ahead of his time in his achiievements, only Doug Demokos bettered Daves distance, but he used a motor on the front wheel to keep it spinning, as this acted like a gyroscope and helped him balance.

• Like 2

Is there any reason for this date?  I would of thought it would make more promotional sense to do it during the Manx GP weekend which is also Manx 2 day trial. Or even at the TT itself where thousands will be lining the 37 & three quarter mile route. 

• 2 weeks later...

Its going to take him a good couple of hours to get around and I just can't see that fitting into the race programmes as they stand, but also at TT there is Monster sponsorship to consider!

Its going to be very interesting and I'm quite looking forward to it. :)

The fact Dave did it on an XT500 is a feat in itself, I was fortunate enough to be a friend of Dave and he was years ahead of his time in his achiievements, only Doug Demokos bettered Daves distance, but he used a motor on the front wheel to keep it spinning, as this acted like a gyroscope and helped him balance.

Were the foot rests not moved up near top shock mounts ?