Doug's Wheelie

dabber

From what I remember reading it was to stop the front wheel and bike in the event of the unexpected, I also understood it let him choose to stop the power to the front wheel by pulling on it when going downhill as it had a tendency to make the front want to drop when first cresting a hill.

Or at least I seem to recall reading something about that...

I don't know I've just tried to emulate him on my local high street and got my bike impounded.

Double standards I say.

I know I only managed 20 yards before I ran into that pushchair but no one could see the funny side of it.

I'm hoping Dougie will come to the Trial it's the least he could do after all it was his idea.

• Like 3

according to the redbull site...

Front wheel

A 36-volt electric motor has been fitted to the hub of the front wheel to keep it spinning throughout the duration of the challenge. This spinning creates a crucial gyroscopic effect that will make the bike more stable for Dougie, and allow the bike to respond to steering inputs even with the wheel up in the air.

Dougie will control the power to the front wheel via a tension wire connected to his chest. Although the wheel will always be spinning, Dougie can vary the speed by changing his body position, allowing him to adapt to the undulations of the course and have more control over the bike.

• 3 weeks later...

I happened to be at the Classic Mechanics Show last weekend and, by coincidence, this was on display. No sign of electrical assistance on the front wheel but I don't recall Dave using such for his normal displays.

I can't vouch for the date - it was the early Nineties when I saw him attempt it.

Footrest position notwithstanding it's one hell of a lump to use in comparison to a Vertigo. I read that he averaged 60 mph on the back wheel.

I look forward to the documentary.

post-16834-0-65565800-1477160200_thumb.jpg

post-16834-0-84492500-1477160232_thumb.jpg

post-16834-0-83174500-1477160271_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...