Bantam New Build

john b

Just completed a bantam new build. Started with a 4 speed engine and heavyweight forks bought cheap off a lad at work. Frame kit from progressive classics, bantam hubs with new akront rims, everything else new or newly manufactured. Was it cheap ? Probably about £2500 without all of my dads labour or many "guvvys" from work but I think worth it and looks good. First try out tomorrow . Any opinions ?

Cheers

John

post-79-0-60138800-1471692537_thumb.jpg

post-79-0-38987500-1471692578_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi,

Off topic, as usual, but for anyone taking photographs of bikes the 'most usual professional practice' we were taught was to line up the centre of the camera lens level and in line with the spark plug and then make sure the camera itself was perfectly level.   Then get as far away from the machine as possible, and use your lens selection to keep away from the wide angle end of a zoom.

That way the resulting image was more likely to be correctly in proportion with the wheels appearing to be circular.

I hope you can see, John, that the rear wheel of your interesting Bantam looks to be slightly oval?

Only trying to help, is it for your future events, or your lads next ride?

• Like 1

Thanks Deryk ! Im no photographerso thanks for the advice !

Yes its for Chris as his pre65 ride

hes doing really well on the twinshocks, this engine came up so decided to buikd a competitive bike for him whilst hopefully keeping it as true to pre 65 as posdible

cheers

John

Hi John,

Thought it would be for Chris - anyway, as you know I have been a photographer for a while, so I thought I would try the treatment on one of your pics to give other potential readers a chance to see how we would present the picture in ORRe.  I have and 'lifted' some of the shadows round the engine so that you can see a little more detail of the build, and this is the size it would appear in ORRe.

Anyone with photographs of interesting machines, just join in the fun and email me copies of your machines, and I will apply the professional techniques for you - for free if you are an ORRe member.

Enjoy - and keep watching, John, I have more pics of yourself and Chris coming along.

post-19290-0-70104000-1471705245_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

Hi there

I just coudnt get it to run right with the amal so tried the mikuni. I had added a spacer between the barrel and carb so that may have made it run better anyway. Once Ive tried it,I may put the amal back on to see hoe it goes

thanks for tne comments

cheers

John

• Like 2

the magic of the bantam is that no two ever have the same jets/slide.. i really must say though that once dialled in they can be better than perfect.. worth the investment of the su carby and a complete set of jets.. i did and experimented for probably 9 months till it ran like a watch and power came like pouring cream.. 

• Like 2

Thanks Deryk ! Im no photographerso thanks for the advice !

Yes its for Chris as his pre65 ride

hes doing really well on the twinshocks, this engine came up so decided to buikd a competitive bike for him whilst hopefully keeping it as true to pre 65 as posdible

cheers

John

Hi John,

I like it, looks really nice, where did you get the alloy tail pipe/silencer from.

I had same trouble getting mine to run nice, ended up with a new Amal in the end, despite none of the secondhand one that i overhauled looking that bad or worn.

which ignition did you choose?

Hi there

The silencer wad an ebay purchase. Not sure what it was off but was almost brand new. Volume of the silencer was the same as a friend of mines who I measured, so I has the inlet modified to take the bantam front pipe which i had angled to suit.Sounds nice and seems to run well.

Cheers

John

not often I like the trend for old modern trick bikes but I must admit I like your one I only have one question , I was taught that to get the ultimate carburation you should have a airbox of at least twice the volume of air that the motor needed before the filter as such all of the off road bikes that I have built over the years have been fitted this way with the largest air box I could fit in ,am I missing something or were the expert guys who taught me over 50 years ago wrong

• Like 1

Hi Will,

Your tutors were not wrong - mine said the same and every bike I had subsequently was brought into line with a large air box, almost inevitably with all the air entry from below to prevent clogging with cascading mud and general detritus as might often happen when responding to Jack's motto "When in doubt - flat out"........

Inside each airbox was the current fashion of air filter, bearing in mind that the foam types are relatively recently on the scene compared to yours and my experiences..........

Edited by laird387