Bantam New Build

john b

Hi there

I did contemplate an aluminium airbox with a beta style filter , but favours at work to make it are a little thin at the moment so maybe later. A lot of bantams I see have the foam filter so decided to go with that. It does sound like it sucks a lot of air when you open the throttle but runs ok. Originally I planned 40mm ducting to take the filter up under the seat (hence the cut out in side panel) but the ducting was just not strong enough. I've ordered a bultaco Sherpa filter today with a cranked inlet hose which should tuck it further in. Thanks for all comments ! And Deryk, I've told Chris he needs to keep an eye out !

Cheers

John

the theory is that to get instant throttle responce you need a lot of clean filtered air at least twice what the motor cosumes on a full throttle attack ,i cannot see how sucking air through a foam filter without can do the carburationany favours ,i have home made airboxes on both of my greeves outfits including one of the last factory bikes both run on std amal mk1 carbs with probably the cleanest caburation i have ever had, i

• Like 1

the theory is that to get instant throttle responce you need a lot of clean filtered air at least twice what the motor cosumes on a full throttle attack ,i cannot see how sucking air through a foam filter without can do the carburationany favours ,i have home made airboxes on both of my greeves outfits including one of the last factory bikes both run on std amal mk1 carbs with probably the cleanest caburation i have ever had, i

Got any pictures of these airboxes? Reading this has given me ideas for my TFS. At present it has a Villiers air filter with a home made adapter to fit the amal concentric on the bike.

Hi, floydbassman,

The usual Greeves filter arrangement looks like the coloured image below, the usual private owner arrangement replacing the Villiers filter.  But all the works bikes were fitted with a much larger (double the air volume) aluminium can with air entry at the bottom, as seen on Don Smith's bike (I have ALL the works riders in ORRe - all fitted with the same filter as Don's bike). When Greeves had to move to a different engine supplier when Manganese Bronze  (AMC) took over Villiers and decided not to support other manufacturers, they created the Pathfinder which had a much larger airbox from the outset.

One of the Greeves works scrambler set ups can be seen on Dave Bickers bike, a much larger disc shaped airbox under his left knee.

These are just a sample of the images available in ORRe.

post-19290-0-50594100-1472633124_thumb.jpg

post-19290-0-29937900-1472633159_thumb.jpg

post-19290-0-34940900-1472633194_thumb.jpg

post-19290-0-30235300-1472633554_thumb.jpg