2008 250 Gasgas Pro Swingarm Bushing

gazzaecowarrior

Just reassembled my swingarm after greasing all the linkages etc. I'm just wondering if I'm either missing a part or have put it in the wrong sequence. On the left sprocket side of the swingarm I can see a small 2mm gap between the edge of the swingarm and the frame and can see the swingarm bolt. There is no sideways play in the swingarm. On the gasgas parts diagram I downloaded there is a bush. When I took the bike apart this white plastic bush was seated in the frame I.e. It would be inserted onto the swingsrm bolt before the bolt is put through the frame and swing arm. Is this correct or should this bushing be on the swingarm side of the frame ? Or is this 2mm gap supposed to be there between swingarm and frame ? Your help would be appreciated. Gareth

Did you tighten the swing arm axle bolt with the motor pinch bolts loose?

Yes they were loose. I was paranoid about tightening the bolt into the swingarm spindle and over tightening. Looking at the photo of the end of the spindle in the frame, should I have maybe tapped it in further before tightening up everything? It seemed to have an end point when I tapped it in ?

Yes they were loose. I was paranoid about tightening the bolt into the swingarm spindle and over tightening. Looking at the photo of the end of the spindle in the frame, should I have maybe tapped it in further before tightening up everything? It seemed to have an end point when I tapped it in ?

In theory as you tightened the bolt into the spindle it should have pulled the spindle in the rest of the way if it was not quite tapped all the way in.

I was just thinking if the pinch bolts in the motor were tight it wouldn't let the spindle move.  but you had them loose at the time of tightening.

Quite frankly, I am at a loss.  

I think they are meant to be like that from memory, I was puzzled first time I stripped one out 10 years ago but haven't took much notice since. I think a combination of the crankcases and the spindle being pulled up against the other side of the frame is sufficient to stop flex. There's definitely not a spacer to go in there and you have the plastic cup in the right location. I'll check mine tonight for you

I think they are meant to be like that from memory, I was puzzled first time I stripped one out 10 years ago but haven't took much notice since. I think a combination of the crankcases and the spindle being pulled up against the other side of the frame is sufficient to stop flex. There's definitely not a spacer to go in there and you have the plastic cup in the right location. I'll check mine tonight for you

Thanks for that. I would appreciate you looking.

I'd agree with you but possibly because I'm not an engineer either ? The only time I have had to replace the spindle and bushes was on a bike I bought second hand. Other than that one instance the spindle and plastic bushes have lasted a couple of years. My 2009 did the ssdt twice so it's not causing premature wear in my experience. Is it designed to flex a little?