New (Used) 2013 Txt Pro - Need Recommendations

drca

After a few months of putting around on my Scorpa SY250F I decided to get more serious about trials and I recently purchased a used 2013 TXT Pro (250cc).  The bike has been used, doesn't looks like it's been abused tho, and will need some tuning to get in tip top shape.  So I have a few questions:

Carb, jetting

The bike has been sitting for a few months unused and it clearly will need a car cleanup.  The DelOrto's aren't that complicated to clean on these bikes, so I plan to order a set of seals, take the carb apart and clean it up thoroughly.  When I test rode the bike, it wasn't as snappy as I expected tho and it could come from the carb being gunky, from the jetting being off or many other things...  I don't know what the jetting currently is on the bike and I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a base to start from: altitude around 500 m (1500') high, dry climate.

Reeds

Do the reeds wear out on these bikes?  Is it worth installing new reeds?  What's recommended?

Fork dings

There are a couple of dings in the fork upper tubes.  I read on the forum various recommendations ranging from "just sand them out and go with it" to "fill in with epoxy / super glue, sand out and you're good".  What's the latest wisdom on that?

Suspension springs

I am on the heavy side (230 Lbs / 100 kg in my bday suit) so I need stiffer springs.  I know that suspensions setup is a very personal affair and even a good rider will do great things on a very soft bike, but I get frustrated when I drag the bash plate just standing still over a small log...  On my enduro bikes I do the static / dynamic sag thing to determine correct spring rate, but I am not sure first that this is the same in trials and more importantly that there will be enough different springs (with different spring rates) available anyways.  So, what do people recommend in term of spring rate for my conditions (novice, 230 Lbs / 100 Kg, not doing big drops or obstacles).

Cluch rattle

As much as I read and learn about the "Gas Gas clutch rattle" it is unnerving how much rackets it makes on that bike (don't know about others tho).  It's especially bad when the clutch is out in neutral...  

Gearbox oil on that bike isn't ATF, so I plan to replace it with some ATF (what grade is recommended?) see if that helps.  I am probably going to take the clutch apart and measure the stack thickness to see if it's within specs.  What's the min stack thickness?  Do you measure with everything dry or dripping oil?

Side stand

The bike cam without a side stand.  Any good source to get a whole assembly (including the mounting bracket, springs, etc...)?

I am sure I'll have plenty more questions when I start riding / working on the bike...

Thanks in advance.

DC

The clutch rattle noise should diminish when the clutch is pulled in.

Be a where that if the engine vibrates badly when running. Feels like it is coming out of the frame vibration. That is normally a kick start paw / idler gear with a damaged or chipped tooth. This is bad and needs your attention. All it takes is a small chip to vibrate. 

When you change the trans oil, I would look for metal chips on the magnetic filler / drain plug. This will tell the story?

Clutch out rattle in neutral is normal. Pull the clutch in and it should mostly go away.

I don't run ATF, but if you want to the recommendation is Dexron III.

I wouldn't bother with with seals or anything on the carb. It's not an old bike, they should be fine. Just take it apart, spray carb cleaner through all the jets and reassemble.

The fork tubes are another story. If you can feel the nicks with your fingernail you'll need to fill them. Lots of guys like clear nail polish. Sand the rough edges down first with some fine grit sand paper.

Thanks for the info.

I finally rode the bike for 1 1/2 today and it's pretty nice, will need some time get used to tho compared to the Scorpa.

The clutch rattle is indeed unnerving, calms down with the clutch pulled out tho, but still happens in first gear, clutch in just idling along with no throttle.  I guess I'll have to get used to it (but man sounds like a tractor at time!).

I'll try the black nail polish with some very fine sand paper will work on the fork.  I am sure my daughter has a bottle in her stock ;-)

Carb definitively needs some cleaning.  Bike is a b***h to start when hot, idle is irregular...  Probably will need some jetting adjustments too.

Suspension definitively soft for me...  Looking into stiffer springs!  Looks like Jitsie makes some stiffer for the front (but they are too short so requires a custom made spacer).  Not sure about the rear tho.  Anyone can recommend a suspension shop that deals with trials bike I can talk to?

Brakes are pretty jerky (not very progressive).

Kickstarter seems to have a very small range where it grabs the gear with some case where there are even misses.  Doesn't look good, so I'll need to take the kickstart mechanism apart and look for broken teeth :-(  I tried to take the clutch case off today but gave up as the kickstarter itself didn't want to come off the shaft.  Need to either look for a hot tip on how to pull it out or find a "puller".

Thanks to all for all the help.

DC