250 Or 300 ?

murphy37

Im returning to trials after a long lay off of around 6 years.

I used ot ride a 250cc Beta rev3 in local comps at clubman level, looking at the majority of riders local to me now the trend, especially those competing in run around events seems to be to go for 300 variants. What would the genrela consensous be? the larger engine makes sense when covereing ground but wpould it be too much of a handfull in sections for a returning rider ? 

Cheers,

Murph

I returned to Trials last year after 30 years away. My last bike being an ex-works Comerfords Bultaco 350. My first bike back was a 2007 Sherco 290 followed by a 2008 Scorpa 250 (flat as the proverbial) a 2013 GG 250, a 2013 Jotagas 300 (loved it but keeps breaking the gear selector shaft), a 2009 GG 300 Raga (loved it but needed too much doing to it) and finally a 2016 Sherco 300 which I absolutely love. Some buy a 300 and then put a slow throttle on and a flywheel weight to calm things down. Myself, It took one easy trial to bed myself in to the throttle response and it is now perfect for me. BTW, I am 73 this year.

• Like 5

I would go with the 250 myself, however as indicated a nice 300 shouldn't be much of an issue and if it seems a bit much you can always soften it out with a few inexpensive modes and then pep it back up later if you want.  In the end if you can ride a few at a local event you will have a better idea of what you might like.  

Best of luck.  :thumbup:

Edited by jonnyc21

Depends entirely upon how you set up the bike. A 300 beta with a slow throttle and a flywheel weight is a completely different animal to an experts 300 racing gasgas or sherco. A 250 wouldn't be underpowered though, but I don't think a 300 would be too much either- just depends on your setup and what type of stuff you plan to ride. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

300 cc is the way to go,real men need power...........500 ariel now theres a proper machine...........I

Real men needing power should try the Honda GL 1800 - could be good in the right hands.  

Plenty of power.  Amazing torque. A few mods and you might have a real man's trials bike.

Don't see too many at trials meets in my area.

Edited by stpauls

Agreed..... that would be the perfect engine to shoe horn into most mens trials frames,they would feel very powerful indeed sat astride one of those beasts,RRRRRRRRRRRR.

Too wide, how about a 2.3L triumph rocket 3 engine.