Sammy Miller Series 2017 - Proposed Changes

turbo

WHY is it so important to save a original bike ?

That is a good question.  The simple answer is why not?  The sport was created to save the original bikes in the first place against bikes that make them uncompetitive.  That is happening again.  The theory has not changed.  Fair sport breeds popularity, unfair sport kills it.  There are riders who want to ride original bikes fairly, there are bikes that can be ridden and that can help the sport for everyone by keeping numbers up, entry fees down and hopefully help prevent events failing.  Just by adding a sub-class, twinshocks wont be affected, nor would modifieds, so what exactly is the problem in trying to include original bikes fairly (the rules for modified bikes do not change, nor do the classes or courses)?

Edited by ttspud

As one of the organising team of two that created the first ever pre-65 trial I suspect some members may be interested in my thoughts and comments on the topic.

The prime, and potentially most significant point is that we were misguided and got it all wrong in the first place!  

The fact is that we could no longer cope on our older, heavier British bikes in the sections that were being chosen to take marks off the Spanish invasion - although some of the lightweights could cope, as Bill Wilkinson and Roy Peplow so ably demonstrated by winning the SSDT on their Greeves and Cub machines, beating Sammy and all the other riders on on their Bultaco and Montesa machines.

The point that we missed was that we wished to retain the SECTIONS set to the same standard of difficulty that they were before 1965 - which was precisely what I insisted upon whilst I was the Series Coordinator for the championship which developed into the Sammy Miller series, and ran successfully for the first fourteen years.

Reading all the previous posts I am saddened by all the niggling, moaning and general mischief they so often demonstrate - what has happened to taking part in order to ENJOY the pastime.........................

• Like 3

Sorry, trialsrfun, I regret your thoughts on the Sammy Miller series are somewhat astray. All the British built twostrokes were welcomed and regularly made up the bulk of the entry.

There was even a class for rigid/vintage twostrokes which the Price brothers  usually dominated on their 125cc DMWs.

Edited by laird387a

I organised many of those first trials and the only one that we did not include twostrokes was that first Bigger Banger trial on Shawforth, in the second we included all the Villiers twostrokes and there were even a couple of rigid Bantams in the entry.

Perhaps a photograph taken by Mary of me in action in a pre-65 trial might help......................

01PICT0966 copy.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Guy's.

Look it just proves that the term PRE65 referred to the type of section more than the machine, as the Photo of Deryk on  his Greeves proves, Banana forks were I think 1967?

Clean bike though Deryk just like all the machines you owned and rebuilt for discerning owners.

Forget the ACU series we knew they did not want it to work. 

Just stick with the clubs that will put on an Olde Time road trial with Olde type sections, and we will get the plot back. 

But trials still just need to be for the fun of competing whatever you are riding, or forget it, and enjoy wandering around Motorcycle museums.

Regards Charlie..

• Like 2

Forget the ACU series we knew they did not want it to work

Well, whatever their motivation, the ACU series events look to have been cancelled and so solving the problem for that series is moot now.  The problem that apparently was never there and did not need solving for so long has finally bitten.  I just hope that other clubs & events wake up and stop denying that there is an issue before they are lost too.

And if they are, well, there is always fishing!!!  Take care all.

Reality check  why have events been cancelled oh riders dont put the entries in A 3 course 6 class event "forgot the sub class will sort all that that out !!!!!!!!! OH I really wish we could go back to the good old days of trials when riders just got on with it and not whinge so much .ITS now  time for another reality check its the riders attitude that have changed " i dont want a hard day trialing or lose any marks" ,does lots of marks = A hard trial or is it a unfit crap rider who  finds out A BRITISH CHAMPIONSHIP is not the place for him , ttspud I would not take up fishing coz someone will catch a bigger fish than you then you will whinge about that 

Edited by on it
info
  • Like 1

on it: its the riders attitude that have changed 

I know, they are weedy, unfit buggers, all of them!!  Back in the day they were sinuey, athletic types, the post-war, rationed lot, none of this takeaway generation.  Should really stick to darts and pottery, whinging all the time, how dare they.  Why do we have to have riders at all?  And do they enter the events, no, all they do is moan.  All they do is complain.  Awful.  Oh well, not to worry, it is all water under the bridge now.  Good points all.

Enjoy your championships and don't worry about it, I am sure that you will beat them all!!!

2 hours ago, ttspud said:

I know, they are weedy, unfit buggers, all of them!!  Back in the day they were sinuey, athletic types, the post-war, rationed lot, none of this takeaway generation.  Should really stick to darts and pottery, whinging all the time, how dare they.  Why do we have to have riders at all?  And do they enter the events, no, all they do is moan.  All they do is complain.  Awful.  Oh well, not to worry, it is all water under the bridge now.  Good points all.

Enjoy your championships and don't worry about it, I am sure that you will beat them all!!!

we dont have any riders do we thats the problem !!!!! trials put on for them to ride they dont enter BUT come on here whinging trials are canceled, . As for attitude did they ride 1 course & just got on with it ? NOW  6 classes 3 courses no entries.  Thank you yes i do ! got to go practice bye !

Can't believe this load of c&&p is still going on, just got back from a week away on holiday to find the old 'original bike' stuff has started again, bet these posts are deleated and we never get to see the bike.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Regs and entry form for the Greensmith Memorial trial should be appearing on the front page shortly. This is no longer a round of the ACU Classic but retains the same format as previous years which is one lap of around 35 miles around the Clee Hill in Shropshire.

The trial caters for the usual British bikes and twinshocks, there's a class for rigids and British / twinshock sidecars, but this year the trial is also open to over 50s and over 60s on modern bikes. Two routes will be set as usual and I guess if you're over 60 and want the hard route, just enter as over 50...

Let's not let this one slide away into the mists of time, these trials need to be kept alive so get your entries in. Entry limit is 100. The Northern British bike round at Llangollen had 100+ entries last weekend for a road trial and that was British Bikes only, so riders are out there.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dursleydabber said:

Just checking i can reply.Been away cpl weeks,gonna read thru everything and come up with a solution lol. I can tell you all one thing for nothing Enfields are v heavy and take an enormous amount of skill to ride!!!

You have been on that cheap vino again... Tut, tut. I'll have a word with Nina, make sure the keys to the booze cupboard are hidden from you.;)

• Like 1