What Mods Does A 199A Need?

71pathfinder

Just added a fine running 199A to collection of trials bikes.  I'd like to update this one without going too crazy.  I will be riding it here in the USA in vintage and AHRMA.  I really don't think any modification is needed to be competitive but in reviewing the forums, the following modifications look interesting to me.

Move foot pegs back and down.

Modify the handle bar mounting to eliminate the "tiller-effect."

Add needle bearings to the clutch actuator to improve action.

I'm looking for opinions on these modifications and any recommendations on others.

Thanks.

Brakes, brakes and brakes, ...

- a new pairs of good and grooved brake-pads alingend to the drum.

If the chrome inside the hubs is considerable damaged an inliner of steel is an improvement (Will fix the issue)

When the chrome inside the hub is fine the brakes does work well, but very frequent cleaning the inside of the hub is necessary to keep the chrome. healthy.

A Dell' Orto or Mikuni / OKO instead the Bing carburator would save you a good amount of gas an give better throttle response.

• Like 3

Just added a fine running 199A to collection of trials bikes.  I'd like to update this one without going too crazy.  I will be riding it here in the USA in vintage and AHRMA.  I really don't think any modification is needed to be competitive but in reviewing the forums, the following modifications look interesting to me.

Move foot pegs back and down.

Modify the handle bar mounting to eliminate the "tiller-effect."

Add needle bearings to the clutch actuator to improve action.

I'm looking for opinions on these modifications and any recommendations on others.

Thanks.

In my personal opinion, I'am very OK with that :agreed: !!!

As you say your bike is reasonably well sorted, so before making any changes I would have a ride on a bike that has some of the "mods" done already, so you can judge for yourself before proceeding.

The one mod I would definitely make would be ditching the Bing carb for a Mikuni or a Delorto. That not just a mod, but a massive improvement.

Edited by model80
  • Like 2

One other mod that works very well is to put longer shock absorbers on it. Standard is 340mm so go to 360mm or I have put some 395mm ones on my M199. I have not tried that one as yet, still waiting on some engine parts to be done. The steel or cast liners in the hubs is a great modification. That is one of the things I`m waiting for. Graham.

First off, thanks for the responses.  I need to apologize, I probably should have given you a status on the bike before discussing modifications.  Good runner with a strong engine.  I have already upgraded it with a Mikuni carb and fiber clutch plates.  Wheels are pretty straight and true and it has new tires.  I don't lack for quantity or quality of power, it's nice and smooth and responsive.

I am at the point in the project where I'd like to complete frame modifications prior to getting the frame repainted/powder coated.  That's why some of my proposed modifications are frame related.  Since I live in the US and at least in my area, no one else is riding these old bikes, so I don't have an opportunity to try others solutions.  I'm only able to keep an eye on what the rest of the world is doing as far as modifications.

So narrowing it down a bit, for those of you who have moved the pegs or modified the top fork yoke, are you happy/unhappy, was it worth it, etc.

I have put Apico footpegs on my three Sherpas with bought modern mounts. I move the brackets back and down about half an inch and with the lower modern footpegs this works great. It improves the whole feel of the bike as well as lowering the centre of gravity. It is a worthwhile modification. Graham.

• Like 3

Lots of questions about my background ... here's a quick overview ...I've been riding trials since 1974, on Sherpa T's since 75.  I began riding in Michigan with MOTA and from there road several National Championship trials in the 75/76 season.  I currently reside in Washington state.  The local club Puget Sound Trialers have a vintage class that I'll be competing in.  I've also road AHRMA off and on, on my old 199 frame/159 motor bike and as Scot Taco says, a Bul is more than capable in these sections.

I've just purchased a Model 199A that was rebuilt by it's previous owner and it does run like a new bike.  He's go brand new rubber, rebuilt wheels, etc.  It's this new 199A that I'm asking about.

Bullylover, thanks for the input on the pegs, I am planning on this modification before I repaint the frame.  I also like the longer shock idea, way easier than modifying the frame to steepen the fork angle.

So what about the upper triple clamp/handle bar mounting modification ... who's done it, is it worth the fuss?

• Like 1

First off, thanks for the responses.  I need to apologize, I probably should have given you a status on the bike before discussing modifications.  Good runner with a strong engine.  I have already upgraded it with a Mikuni carb and fiber clutch plates.  Wheels are pretty straight and true and it has new tires.  I don't lack for quantity or quality of power, it's nice and smooth and responsive.

I am at the point in the project where I'd like to complete frame modifications prior to getting the frame repainted/powder coated.  That's why some of my proposed modifications are frame related.  Since I live in the US and at least in my area, no one else is riding these old bikes, so I don't have an opportunity to try others solutions.  I'm only able to keep an eye on what the rest of the world is doing as far as modifications.

So narrowing it down a bit, for those of you who have moved the pegs or modified the top fork yoke, are you happy/unhappy, was it worth it, etc.

Hi, I'm in eastern WA, I'll send you a PM about local stuff. I have a beat up 199A that I ride occasionally. I didn't ride Trials in the old days, I raced Pursangs.

I'd say longer shocks and moving foot pegs are of vital importance. Two things I regret about the way I did mine are, I also cut the rear loop off mine as it hit directly on my tail bone when descending.

1) the footpeg kit I used didn't use standard Trials pegs, although they look the same to the eye, so instead of having a world of pegs to choose from, I have to repair the cheap steel pegs or modify Trials pegs to fit.

2) I used NJB shocks, which are OK, but I feel like the Bultaco geometry would benefit from more expensive shocks, like Rock Shocks.

Edited by motovita
  • Like 1