Water In Oil Even After Replacing Water Pump Shaft And Seal?!?

alscott1984

Hi, i'm desperate for help, I got water in my gearbox oil so replaced the seal. On inspection the shaft was worn so replaced that to, yet after 15 min running the oil contaminates with water again! the coolant level hasn't seemed to have dropped. Is there anything obvious i'm missing?

In fairness I haven't replaced the O ring seal on water pump so don't know if that is letting water in when I ride in the wet/ wash the bike? could this be a cause?

I'm running out of ideas now so any help would be great.

cheers, Al

I was wondering if its on the correct way, i just put it back how i found it after the first leak. Only bought the bike in spring. thanks for video link but thats the old txt, mines a pro so want to b sure. Can anyone confirm which way it goes in? i've put it so the flat face backs onto the impeller (water side) and the hollow/open face faces the engine/ oil side if that makes sense?

Also i'd flushed with deisel, then two oil changes prior to running in the hope that most the residue of contaminated oil would be gone, cheers.

I know there will be some residue left in until a few changes but it's just the oil went from crystal clear to custard in a matter seconds like it suddenly leaked. So if the open/spring side should be on water side then it sounds like mines been fitted incorrectly since I got the bike. The last ones did say the seal had just been changed. Can anyone confirm this? Cheers

The bronze bushing on the outside also helps support the shaft. I am not sure if your new pump came with one. The spring should be facing the coolant and what i usually do is press the impeller back into the seal to butt the seal up against the circlip. If the seal is in a little sideways it will never seal. 

--Biff

Thanks cbutler will try pm'ing him. And biffgasgas that is in contrast with what the gasgas UK tech guy told me, he said open/spring side facing engine. But manual looks more like how you said it should be. Thanks for the fitting tip also! Cheers guys. Most helpful!post-21095-0-54349400-1473172608_thumb.jpg

Edited by alscott1984

LOL, that picture is of my pump and it IS fitted the correct way in the picture. 

The problem I was having was that my fan wasn't coming on leading to overheating and pressure actually blew the seal out.  You can see how the lip is curled up against shaft in that pic.

Edited by mbeers6

The photo shows the seal in the wrong way around.

The pressurised area is in the impellor side, approx 1Bar, a sprung oil seal always has the spring facing toward the pressure area. Just like crankcase seals. Sorry to disagree with some of you guys, but biff is correct.

Bye, Peter B.

• Like 1