Changing Fork Seals

hrmad

Hi,

I've got the right fork off the bike, the one with the dampner adjuster at the top, undone the top bolt and drained the fork oil. Can't figure out how to remove the damnper assembly. Tried to undo the bolt at the very bottom of the fork leg, it turns but nothing seems to be happening. Looking at the manual it says to hold the damper with a special tool, then loosen the fork center bolt. Would someone mind explaining what this tool is/ how to remove the dampner assembly? Thanks

Whilst undoing the bottom bolt, pull the stancion away from the fork bottom, This grips the internals allowing it to be undone. You might have to put the fork top back on, i cant remember. May take an extra pair of hands and a vice. When reassembling, put tension back on the damper to nip it back up.

Edited by jrsunt
  • Like 1

Whilst undoing the bottom bolt, pull the stancion away from the fork bottom, This grips the internals allowing it to be undone. You might have to put the fork top back on, i cant remember. May take an extra pair of hands and a vice. When reassembling, put tension back on the damper to nip it back up.

Most work like this is easily done with air tools. You might put the fork back together and on the bike. Compress the forks with tie downs and then try with the tools at hand.

As said, air tools or you need the tool that has grooves in it to hold it. I made my own, I can take a picture for you if I can find it

Thanks guys, with an extra pair of hands we've changed the seals, feels great to have done the job. Got the bolt off with an air tool, thanks for your help :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fork seals leaking like mad after a few rides. I've tried cleaning them and using a very thin feeler gauge to clean the oil seals, hasn't improved the situation.

I'm not sure where I have gone wrong. I put in the amount of fork oil stated in the manual. We used a bit of aluminium pipe to drive the seals on. Is it possible to fit them the wrong way round? I pulled the seals down the fork, are you supposed to take the bush and locking collars etc at the bottom of the fork slider off and pull the seal up?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Did you check the fork tubes for any nicks? Local peaks around nicks can damage the seal. I've had a few, and took the high points off very carefully with a fine, flat whetstone.

That's possible, I'll check. Anyone know where I can get new bushes? They were a bit worn upon inspection