Ossa Tr77 Clutch Issues.

ronwright

This is a problem of my own making and ossa ignorance. I have recently had both the primary case and magneto cases off ; one to free off the clutch and the other to check the points. Whilst the case housing the magneto and gearbox sprocket was off I inadvertently leant the bike over onto its side and the clutch pin fell out which I found a few minutes later. Today when I went to rebuild the bike and sort out the clutch I remembered that the clutch from the engine lever to the cluch housing has a long pin, a ball bearing and then a second pin. I had lost the ball bearing. I had in stock some 1/4" cycle headstock bearings so I used one of them between the two pins. I could not get the clutch to work so I took the pins apart and to my surprise the ball bearing had disappeared. I rebuilt it again with a new ball bearing and again the clutch did not want to work so I took it apart again and once again the ball bearing was missing. Where they going to. I am not losing them when I take ity apart. Please help before they cart me off to the funny farm.

When you say you took it apart, how much of it did you dismantle?

The small oil seal in the end of the output shaft (that seals the pushrod, not the much larger output shaft seal) can have a cavity behind, depending on how far in the seal is fitted, so if you're feeding the ball bearings through the oil seal they may be lying behind it where they dropped instead of sliding into the pushrod housing tube. Gently prise out the small oil seal, you can use the pushrod to do this, and see if they are behind it. There is nowhere else for them to go if you're feeding them in from that side.

• Like 1

hi Woody is corrrect iv'e just rebuilt part off my TR77 and i lost  the push rod bearing put a magnetic tin possi down nothing umm i thought then i spoted it down the lip off the seal Woody has pointed out it just pops out.

I got the idea from somewhere to safety wire it so it can,t turn.Mine is an older (1970) plonker and it has the post between the cylinder fins that I tied to,not sure if the later ones are the same.

As you can see I did a sloppy wiring job that needs tightening up so maybe it has not tried to come loose? Nice job on the bike!

post-17837-0-92468300-1473537356_thumb.jpg

hello scot thanks for the photo since posting my quetion i have done the lock wire mine has the post but there is  hole just above the ring in the finn so ive locked wired it to that. a freind uses a strong spring but you have to drill a  small  hole  in the Engine mount to hook it on but didnt want to drill any holes but it is a good idea ill see how i get on with it.

• Like 1