Intro

bultacobrian

Hey folks! I'm diving in here head first to the land of vintage dirtbikes, trials, and 2-stroke engine repair.

I fell in love with the look of Spanish bikes trying to scare up moped parts locally at Hogan's Cycle Shop in Agawam, MA, and here I am a few years later, elbows deep in a complete teardown to revive a seriously seized-and-left-for-dead 1976 Alpina 250 model 165. My theory is if I do the rebuild right off the bat (not like I had a choice with this particular specimen), the internal condition will be a known quantity, I'll have something I can ride longer, and I'll be able to do repairs more easily. It's been very educational so far and I can't wait to hear it fire. Until then, I'll just hafta keep riding in my dreams, literally.

Maybe this isn't the best bike for hardcore trials, but I think it'll serve me well as a gateway bike for trials, trails, and beyond.

After a bit of messing around on various 2-wheeled machines, my philosophy with dirt bikes is summed up like this: Speed is gravy.

And so here I am, cart-in-pieces-and-before-the-horse, naive and ambitious, ready to fail, ready to learn, ready for a new adventure. 

-bb

• Like 5

Yes,welcome bb.I have bought a few parts from Hogans,but more from his friend Alex Snoop down in NY-both good to deal with.

You have picked one of if not the easiest vintage bikes to rebuild and it will indeed be a decent all rounder.

My good friend who is also on TC is deep into the rebuild of two Alpinas and I,m sure he will offer any help you might need as well will everyone else on TC.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I'm already well acquainted with Bob Hogan after trying to get my piston un-seized (profile pic coming soon) and a round of parts buying. I'll have to try and check out Alex' place next time I'm in the area, or make a 1-2 stop and hit up Hugh's as well. I snagged the rebuild kit from Hugh's and a few odd bits already, but I'd like to checkout the Hugh's store and not hafta pay shipping.

Scot, that's exactly what I was shooting for with this bike. Easy to work on, parts availability, versatility, fun, vintage. Thanks for the reassurance! My girlfriend will very quickly want a bike as soon as this one is running, so I'm already thinking ahead like, "Well, maybe I'll give her the 250 and upgrade to a 350." We're working on getting an RV and we want to be able to travel with the bikes, go places we wouldn't normally go, see sights we wouldn't normally see. While I was initially thinking of getting her something newer and 4-stroke with less of a learning curve (maybe streetable just to have the option), I like the idea of sticking within a brand, and not having to maintain 2 completely different bikes on the road. Fewer tools, fewer manuals, fewer headaches.

-bb

Newbie from Inverness Scotland .

Hi guys just bought my first trials bike in over 20 years .

From the highlands of Scotland and picked up a 2002 sherco 250 .

Needs little bit of work but what bike doesn't .

Have been more into motocross but decided to re-live my youth and buy a trails bike .

Used to have some when I was around 10-15 years old on my parents croft .

Looking forward to advice and info from this forum .

Cheers