199B Rebuild Help Required Please

big_e

I am in the process of starting a rebuild of a genuine 199B and need some help in sourcing a couple of parts please.  Firstly, any idea where I can get hold of a right hand side cast (forged?) alloy rear brake lever?  They used to appear on eBay now and again, but not lately.  Secondly, I am also after a curved, oval rear registration plate, the type that follows the contour of the mudguard.  I know they are not original fit, but I fitted one to my bike when it was new.  I'm blowed if I can find one on eBay or anywhere else for that matter, but a couple of years ago they were quite common.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi big_e,

might be able to help with your number plate, i got one from ebay-pre curved for my model 190 and it fitted a treat. I haven't even road registered it but wanted the number plate on there anyway.

unfortunately the link to the ebay item doesn't come up with anything but  I think this is the company that sold them:

D & C Classic Motor Cycles - Ickornshaw Mills - Ickornshaw - Cowling - BD22 ODB - Tel: 01535 630137      

I also ordered the numbers and letters to stick on from ebay and they came from a company called 'snappygrafix'. (they have their own website by same name) they were very obliging and even managed to do me the font which was in use around 1977 when the bike was new! DVLA have changed it over the years and there are subtle differences and I thought it would be good to be authentic. The plate was only about £14 and the letters/numbers only about £4.

hope this helps. best of luck with your rebuild!

D

i ordered 1 off  those ovel shaped number plates didnt really have any problem finding 1 am sure sammy miller dose them may be try there. to the R/H Alloy  foot brake pedle they are  hard to find now may be some 1 as a spare on hear i like the new 1  that inmotion have i was thinking  off getting 1 for my next  build not original but near enough for me.post-12321-0-15175500-1473929622_thumb.jpg

Edited by bondy
  • Like 1

Why not buy a sheet of plastic board and cut it out too your needs by yourself?

I did this for in many occasions bust result you will get with a bandsaw with low speed and a sawband with tight hacks or a jigsaw with a metal sawblade and low rpm. For using the jig saw I would suggest to use a high density wood board arons 4mm in thickness on which you fastn the plastic board this gives a more smooth cut. Then some grinding to smooth the edges and a polish and it will look perfect?

• Like 1

Great response thanks everybody, 9 in as many hours!  Thanks for your comprehensive detail d250b, but I got a plate from Cambs, as suggested by model 80 and metisse.  Bondy, helpful and knowledgeable as ever.  I've seen the brake lever you have used on yours but I am really keen to get an original alloy one so I will be in touch via the Site.  I have even been looking into getting one (or a few) cast, but I reckon they must have been forged originally, I'm not convinced that a cast one, even with heat treatment, would be strong enough.

PS Thanks for the list Guys, there are a few on there I didn't know about.

Photos when it's finished and thanks again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

To bring everyone up to date on my search for a right-hand alloy brake pedal, I received one from Buerkmeyer in Germany, second-hand by the looks of it but in perfect condition, as new.  They have them in stock.  As a bonus, I also managed to get a blank casting (unmachined) from Joan at Motos Del Abuelo in Spain. They had hunted for one for me and managed to find just this casting - better than nothing. At least I can now confirm that they are cast, not forged.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

• Like 3