Old Versus New(Ish).....

spen

As on old chap, born in the 1950's, I was brought up on twin shock trials bikes. I've got a few bikes, 1970's OSSA's, a 1980's OSSA a '72 Montesa, a '71 Bultaco and a '58 Greeves Scottish.

My neighbour gave me a 2001 Gas Gas TXT280 last week and I took it to my practice ground yesterday. Good grief, it weighs very little, power on demand, slows down when you pull the right hand lever towards you, the levers on my twin shocks are mainly for decoration, I think.... have bikes improved since this one was made in 2001? If they have they must ride themselves, no pilot required.

Edited by spen
  • Like 1

Have bikes improved in the last 15 years? You bet they have, especially if you read the list of improvements every manufacturer puts out when they introduce each year's new model.

On the other hand (reality check coming), providing it's in reasonable shape that old Gas Gas is likely good enough to clean most sections you'll be riding.

Switching between a 2016 Montesa and a 1975 bultaco, the most notable difference for me is in the brakes, followed by the rear suspension and weight.

And looking back on my 1998 Montesa, I would say I spend the most time on improving the brake performance on that bike.

We have come a long way indeed.

• Like 2

A few friends got into trial riding not trial competition and bought 2000 to 2007 modern trial bike so I decided to try one myself, I bought a Beta Rev 250 2003 last July. I still am a little shy to go to our twin shock friendly competition and bring the Beta alongside my TY because of the look you get from '' real '' trial riders. I am so glad to see that there are clear-sighted riders around. Yes to all that was written above: the weight, the power,  the balance, the brake, the transmission and so on. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy riding my TY as I would like to ride Bantam or a rigid frame trial bike, but modern trial bike are a delight to ride. I needed some parts for the Beta and the dealer offered me to have a go on a bran new TRS 300, yes they are better than my 2003, it took me 30 second to notice that. Someone told me: you bought a POGO STICK., no I bought a 2003 Beta REV 250 and it's a lot of fun to ride. I also was born in the 50s so maybe I am wise enough to appreciate the old and the new... bike.

Guy

• Like 3

Im in the same situation. I started riding with my local club last september on my newly revived Greeves TFS. Riding the beginners routes alongside the modern bikes is doable most of the time. Had one section that proved impossible to do. It was an uphill climb, very wet and slippery. there was no run up to speak of due to the route taking you between 2 trees and a dogleg to slow you down, and the roots providing a bumpy terrain. Try and take a run up and you just got launched out of the saddle. One of the top riders tried it on my bike and ended up the same! The suspension on the newer bikes allowed a faster run up to get the momentum to get up the slope. The Greeves is great on the classic type events like the Red Tape trial at Deepcut in Surrey. Earlier this year I bagged myself a 2000 125 Gasgas for a bargain. Despite being only 125 its incredibly agile and capable, once you get the hang of compensating for the smaller engine. Very tempting to just ride this instead of the Greeves but I will persevere with using the older bike for the mo....

• Like 1

Im looking for a modernish bike (2007 Sherco), but i will also ride one of my dads classics, it will be nice to share an interest with my dad, but im sure i'll find the modern bike a lot easier!

Until he tries to sit down.... you can't even sit down between sections!!

I notice a few aftermarket 'seat' type things are being sold now for the modern bikes and saw a new Gas Gas with a factory fitted 'seat' on from new. It was uglier than a blind cobbler's thumb....