Any Updates From The Trs Owners

dwb5151

Hello, has anyone who has purchased the trs experienced any problems with it so far after owning it for a while.

I heard people where having starting problems with them as they seemed to be hard to start but once it is going it runs fine.

Many thanks Dw

Edited by dwb5151

So I don't own one. I know a guy that does, and there are now two or three at local events. I haven't heard of anything going wrong. Much the opposite, the one owner I know raves about the fact that nothing comes loose (and it seems as easy to start as any other bike). I've heard some anecdotal stories about gas tanks delaminating, but even if true that sounds like a materials fix I'm sure TRS will deal with. 

I have heard of a few problems people where having  but it was only the first batch and they where fixed afterwards. The engine in my opinion looks like its going to be reliable as it isnt high tec. Which in my opinion is a good thing as when you compare it to the vertigo which seems  to be having a lot of electrical problems.

Edited by dwb5151

What electrical Problems? The Mappings needed changing for the UK but ours is running fine.

From talking to dealers and people they where having starting issues , the bike run backwards and so on 

Edited by dwb5151
  • Like 1

Going on two months with my TRS 280. With about ten rides on the bike I have observed that starting is quite consistent. I discovered that rather than seeking compression it starts best when kicking over with a full kick with no "wind up". Selecting neutral is helpful but not necessary. Generally it will start first kick however if it. Sits for several minutes it may not start easily. I engage the choke and it starts usually on the second kick. Since the bike performs so well with the stock jetting I think the issue is not jetting. The choke circuit on the Dellorto I think is at the bottom of the float bowl. Could it be the fuel gets overheated due to the proximity of fuel line and carb to the exhaust and the choke scavenges better? I also though perhaps the extra long pilot jet offered by Dellorto might work better with the angle of the carb. I may do some experimenting with some heat shielding on the carb and fuel line and post my findings.

The suspension was harsh out of the crate but settled in quickly. The Tech forks perform well as expected and the rear is plush but feels planted and delivers great control in creek beds and over rough terrain. The frame adds to that planted feel and I find the bike holds line well and is very predictable.

The transmission shifts smooth and deliberately with no false neutrals to report but neutral is elusive when running. I don't find that an issue for me. The clutch is one of the best features with a long and predictable engagement making clutch work a breeze. Pull lightened slightly with use and I don't find it an issue.

Compared to my previous Sherco 300 the TRS makes great traction and is much easier to finesse off camber uphill turns with. Nasty climbs up rooted and rocky bits seem much easier to handle.

My general thoughts are the 280 is really easy to ride, tons of power for an intermediate but not intimidating. I find I really don't think much about the bike itself while riding and I just focus on lines and it willingly delivers. It is more more capable than this rider but a pleasure to ride nonetheless.

My only criticisms are that the skid plate mount holes need more tolerance as the countersunk mounts offer no movement by design so a bit more slotted hole for the other two would ease servicing. The side stand foot is too small on softer surfaces resulting in tip overs if one is not careful. Mine sunk in and the bike went over resulting in a bent side stand mount bracket. When trying to remove I discovered 8mm truss head bolts with a tiny 5mm hex and possibly thread lock. Not a good combination. I recommend care and heat if trying to remove. Early models used standard 8mm hex bolts with a more robust hex which I would recommend the factory goes back to. My stand still works but it was annoying.

Overall this is without reservation the best trials bike I have owned and there have been many and I would highly recommend a test ride if you are considering a new bike.

I apologize for heaping so much praise but TRS has done a great job.

otg

• Like 1

Going on two months with my TRS 280. With about ten rides on the bike I have observed that starting is quite consistent. I discovered that rather than seeking compression it starts best when kicking over with a full kick with no "wind up". Selecting neutral is helpful but not necessary. Generally it will start first kick however if it. Sits for several minutes it may not start easily. I engage the choke and it starts usually on the second kick. Since the bike performs so well with the stock jetting I think the issue is not jetting. The choke circuit on the Dellorto I think is at the bottom of the float bowl. Could it be the fuel gets overheated due to the proximity of fuel line and carb to the exhaust and the choke scavenges better? I also though perhaps the extra long pilot jet offered by Dellorto might work better with the angle of the carb. I may do some experimenting with some heat shielding on the carb and fuel line and post my findings.

The suspension was harsh out of the crate but settled in quickly. The Tech forks perform well as expected and the rear is plush but feels planted and delivers great control in creek beds and over rough terrain. The frame adds to that planted feel and I find the bike holds line well and is very predictable.

The transmission shifts smooth and deliberately with no false neutrals to report but neutral is elusive when running. I don't find that an issue for me. The clutch is one of the best features with a long and predictable engagement making clutch work a breeze. Pull lightened slightly with use and I don't find it an issue.

Compared to my previous Sherco 300 the TRS makes great traction and is much easier to finesse off camber uphill turns with. Nasty climbs up rooted and rocky bits seem much easier to handle.

My general thoughts are the 280 is really easy to ride, tons of power for an intermediate but not intimidating. I find I really don't think much about the bike itself while riding and I just focus on lines and it willingly delivers. It is more more capable than this rider but a pleasure to ride nonetheless.

My only criticisms are that the skid plate mount holes need more tolerance as the countersunk mounts offer no movement by design so a bit more slotted hole for the other two would ease servicing. The side stand foot is too small on softer surfaces resulting in tip overs if one is not careful. Mine sunk in and the bike went over resulting in a bent side stand mount bracket. When trying to remove I discovered 8mm truss head bolts with a tiny 5mm hex and possibly thread lock. Not a good combination. I recommend care and heat if trying to remove. Early models used standard 8mm hex bolts with a more robust hex which I would recommend the factory goes back to. My stand still works but it was annoying.

Overall this is without reservation the best trials bike I have owned and there have been many and I would highly recommend a test ride if you are considering a new bike.

I apologize for heaping so much praise but TRS has done a great job.

otg

I am going for my test ride tomorrow and to see what deals he would be doing on the bike. In you  opinion is the trs better made than your sherco 

I am going for my test ride tomorrow and to see what deals he would be doing on the bike. In you  opinion is the trs better made than your sherco 

OTG summed up the TRS very well

Having a '07 Sherco the TRS is better designed by far.. better made only time will tell but I will surmise yes

I think all of the manufacturers build decent bikes today and Sherco is no exception however I am quite impressed with the design, build quality and functionality of the TRS. Small details like the fit of the air cleaner door, the ease of servicing the rear linkage all show the attention to detail in the design. It is also apparent that care is taken in assembly as adequate grease was applied yet there was no superfluous grease to be seen. Honda like cable retainers keep things tidy and even the skid plate is nicely finished with no sharp edges. I was expecting less from a new company and new product so very pleased to receive such a well finished product. Time will tell how well everything will hold up but from the initial hours spent on the bike I suspect it will prove to be a solid bike.

otg

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply's is the 2016 model the same for the 2017 model. I have to admit it is a very very nice bike to ride very smooth and a lot of power and it was only the 250cc i test rode.  The clutch is excellent it is very light and the suspension is good. Another great thing was no vibrations due to the double ignition system. The only thing that would put me of buying one would be the fuel tank. The first batch of bikes had problems with the fuel tanks splitting i did notice the fuel tanks are very squishy.

• 3 weeks later...

After 3 months with them, my new 300 TRS is the best I had so far. I came from a 2013 gasgas and a 2015 sherco, and this bike is a pleasure to ride..! Very clever and nice engeneering details and a breeze to work on.! Power wise, is a rocket compared with the sherco.! Only complaint is rear suspension a little bit harsh..! Easily fixed with a reiger aftermarket shock..!

After 3 months with them, my new 300 TRS is the best I had so far. I came from a 2013 gasgas and a 2015 sherco, and this bike is a pleasure to ride..! Very clever and nice engeneering details and a breeze to work on.! Power wise, is a rocket compared with the sherco.! Only complaint is rear suspension a little bit harsh..! Easily fixed with a reiger aftermarket shock..!

Thanks for the reply i am currently trying to decide which one to go for as i ride a 2011 sherco 290 i am not sure whether or not to go for the 280 or the 300. As i rode a 2015 sherco 300 which had been through the sdt and it felt like it had to much power for what i was doing. But then i rode the 300 vertigo which i thought was perfect. My dealer in Northern Ireland only has the 250 and that is all he will be getting in for a demo. I have to admit the TRS is brilliant to ride so smooth and the build quality is great.

Edited by dwb5151

• 5 months later...

I have a 250 standard, i had a gas gas betor, here is my comaprison:

The TRS has a planted front, smoother throtle response and incredibly efective brakes.

The GG has stronguer side stand suport and starts easyer. 

The confidence i gained with the TRS has inproved my level very much. 

Great bike!! 

6 hours ago, Antonio said:

I have a 250 standard, i had a gas gas betor, here is my comaprison:

The TRS has a planted front, smoother throtle response and incredibly efective brakes.

The GG has stronguer side stand suport and starts easyer. 

The confidence i gained with the TRS has inproved my level very much. 

Great bike!! 

Yea its a great bike and the build quality is very good, I am also riding a lot better all the stages i couldn't do on my old bike i can do with ease on the trs.