240 Clutch

stmarysloch

Has anyone recommendations for lightening clutch on 240 Fantic ( not Hydrolhic ) remove 2 springs ? Best cable ? Levers ? Mine has a home made ext ( small piece of

angled steel ) at clutch arm end . This was on bike when I got it , and it's never worked very well ! I believe Shed Works did a kit , but having phoned them , they no longer

do them . Be good if anyone has pics of what they have done ? Or know where I can buy a kit from . I also have a 200 rear kick , that I have just aquired , having never

rode the 200s before is it worthwhile going down the OKO carb bigger Airbox route , as on my 240 ? Also I believe there is a really simple clutch lightening mod ? Any pics

anyone . Sorry I know this is a lot of ? But I need something to lure me into Garage on cold Winters nights . Thanks

Hey!

www.trialparts-shop.de  has build an interesting clutch lever using a small needle bearing. There are no changes needed on the crankcase.

It is made for either the original cablemount or one of the often seen extensions.

Have a look:

http://trialparts-shop.de/shop/klassiktrial/ausrueckwelle-kupplung-fantic/

The quality is very good and i think the price is absolutely ok.

A friend of mine made some changes to the cable routing on his Fantic 300. Seems to work quite good. Have a look here at the german trial forum:

http://trialforum.net/index.php/Thread/15446-Neues-aus-der-Bastelbude/?pageNo=2

You might need to sign in to see the photos. And maybe learn german?:-)

But i think the photos tell a lot.

• Like 1

I have a Shedworks lightener on my 307 and a home made one on my 240. Both work very well and do the same job. It would be difficult to recreate the Shedworks one. I'll take some pictures on the home made one. 

Obviously it's important the clutch plates and basket are in good condition. A clutch lightener will make a temperamental clutch worse. I like the original Domino levers and a nylon lined cable. 

Thanks for replies , I can't even go back to standard set up , because it looks like the clutch arm it's self has been lengthened ! So when I put cable through

original hole , it's at a strange angle , also not sure if cable is routed correctly ?

Here's the home made lightener. Excuse the dirt from today's trial. You can see the top piece has a slight bend to help the cable stay true with the longer arm. You could easily make the top piece and it would work with your extended arm. The bolt is countersunk to avoid contact with the arm.

post-19149-0-95763600-1475434393_thumb.jpg

I have the shedworks extender on my 300 plus new venhill cable and new sureflex clutch plates with the Beta mod carried out and I'm still not completely happy, it still has a little drag and one finger operation is ok for half an hour or so until a second finger is needed. I'm probably expecting too much from this old cable operated design as I'm comparing it to my modern GG clutch. Has anyone tried converting to something like the Magura hydraulic clutch? If so, I'd like to hear from you.

post-14580-0-59391800-1475666606_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

No experience of any hydraulic conversions. Sounds like you've done everything to make your clutch sweet so a shame about the drag.

I did have drag on the 240 but managed to adjust the push rod to eliminate it. I'm sure you've tried fine adjustment of the push rod. I use 5w-30w oil that's quite light. 

When I started riding about 3 years ago I would find the same problem you mention with my finger just giving up after an extended amount of use. I bought a hand strengthener (one of those sprung foam grip things) that helped. Over time exercising with it and riding every week I now can go all day without clutch finger fatigue.

Funny I find my Section hydraulic clutch a little light and lacking the feel of the cable pulling... I don't miss the pulling weight though! 

• 2 months later...

I'm sure that this mod I've carried out will anger some of the traditionalists, however I was hell-bent on getting a one finger clutch that releases the plates completely on my 300. My solution was to go hydraulic with this Magura setup and Trialsparts actuating arm assembly, I only finished the conversion 2 days ago and have only ridden the bike in my suburban yard and local park but I'm confident I've nailed it, I'll have a better observation when I eventually get out in the bush and can spend a few hours testing it out, lately here it's been 30 to 34 degrees Celsius, beach weather not bike riding weather. The last time I rode the Fantic in a Trial  was at the Australian championships in Sept '16 and the sections were so tight that you simply had no chance of a clean without a well sorted clutch, the attached pics give some idea of the setup, due to the cable not being braided steel (some carbon/pvc setup) I fitted some small springs around the cable where it came close to the exhaust and wrapped them with an adhesive heat reflecting foil, forgot to take a pic of this setup but can at a later date if anyone is interested.

003.JPG

001.JPG

001.JPG

Edited by fourex
Add overall pic of bike.
  • Like 2