Advice Needed Please - Reliable Budget Bike For A Returning Wobbler

bothfeetdown

I think roester is right, even the low hours bike will need refresh. As we say in french '' usé par les caresses '' , very low hour mean very low service. I'm not saying don't buy a low hour bike, but as roester said be prepared, just in case. I was when I bought a very nice Beta Rev 250 this summer, I spent around $250.00 in the next couple month. I don't regret buying the bike and I would buy it again even knowing what I spent on it. 

Guy

Thanks both, must admit I'm tempted with 315. Now to find a decent one!

I have owned a 315r and they are a great bike far more reliable than the Beta. If you are wanting the bike to last you and be reliable the 315r is the way to go. Its better made than some bikes today. 

I have owned a 315r and they are a great bike far more reliable than the Beta. If you are wanting the bike to last you and be reliable the 315r is the way to go. Its better made than some bikes today.

Many thanks for that, I'm going to look for a 315r either in top condition or in need of a few bits and enjoy riding that. Meanwhile I've had the Cota head off and posted in the twinshock forum what I found . Appreciate any advice http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/61660-montesa-cota-247-piston-and-ring-tolerances/#entry435141

Thanks both, very few bikes 'local' to me (west mids). This looks nice but too shiny for me and outside of budget :

http://www.stevecarthymotorcycles.com/product.php?productid=1234&cat=0&page=

Seems a bit expensive to me to be honest, Inch Perfect Trials had a nice 2009 for sale for £2200 last week, was a real beauty.

https://www.inchperfecttrials.co.uk/shop/bikes/used/2009-beta-evo-290-100.html

You might have to travel to get what you want.Thats way too much for an 05 beta albeit a very clean one.Theres a couple on E--y at the moment,one in Peterborough,the other in Ashford that look worth enquiring about

Edited by huski

You might have to travel to get what you want.Thats way too much for an 05 beta albeit a very clean one.Theres a couple on E--y at the moment,one in Peterborough,the other in Ashford that look worth enquiring about

Yes, I've got a trailer so more than happy. The Montesa 315r seems generally more available. There are two firms in Brighouse selling a few at the moment (there's another thread on this forum discussing the firms concerned). Bit worried about getting a shiny bike?

Northern bikes tend to have a harder time on (or through)the rocks.Private sales are normally cheaper,the Mont is better made but an older design,the Beta is in my opinion better to ride and has better spares availability

Northern bikes tend to have a harder time on (or through)the rocks.Private sales are normally cheaper,the Mont is better made but an older design,the Beta is in my opinion better to ride and has better spares availability

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. I live in the wet midlands so maybe I can get the best of both!

If you want a very easy bike to ride buy an 03+ Gas Gas or Beta, if you want reliability go with a Beta Techno (awesome bikes) or a Montesa. Generally the newer bikes edge on the side of performance over reliability it seems, but a good example of any trials bike would be reliable.

• Like 1

Dont be put off the mont by the perceived lack of spares,everything iv needed iv found with no problem at all.

A lot of 315r bits are the same as the 4rt - if you can get a post 2001 then wheels, brakes forks etc are the same (or bolt straight on) as is the swing arm, linkages etc

Quiet few 315s parts appear in bits for sale etc.

The genuine parts can also be good value - eg footrest hangers are about £20 genuine - or used to be. 4rt rear mudguards have been modified to fit as well.

Genuine brake pads used to be cheaper than aftermarket ones of the same make!!!

As with all Honda/Montesa they are well built

But I am biased

Good luck

• Like 1