Sherco Identification

stilly36

Dear all. Can someone help id my sherco. Was told it was a 01 250cc. I recently ordered a little end bearing that came and was too big. Turns out I need the smaller 18x22x22 that is for 06 onwards. Any ways here is some info. Frame unbs129tr1a006657. engine st666657. On the piston it's stamped 04/05. On the barrel 1603713. Any help greatly appriciated. Thanks.

The 29 at the start of the frame number stands for 290 which is actually 272cc like the beta.

The older 290s didn't have the power that the beta has, the beta was more of an experts bike where the sherco was a bit smoother than the 250 with more off the bottom

• Like 1

Externally there aren't any differences, only change between 250 & 290 are piston, cylinder & head. Even the jetting is the same

If you have the cylinder off measuring the bore size will tell. I don't suggest removing the head from the cylinder as you need to replace all the o-rings if you do that

I'll have a look at my Jarvis cylinder to compare numbers & a cylinder off my old 01 that I have under the bench